Wonder If I'm Going Too Far

If he didn't do it in 2016, he probably won't now. ;) But, I could be wrong.

Tom
Good point Tom. I’m looking at an 80’s vintage Jet 1550, fairly well tooled, in what appears to be decent shape. It’s looking good to me. The

Old thread...

Old Monarchs (and any other lathe) can only be as accurate as how much wear they have accumulated over the years. Exact same situation with the Jet lathe, and any other lathe. Pretty much any lathe that can accept change gears can make metric threads. It is not about the charts attached to the lathe, it is about the savvy of the operator. Any used lathe has wear and issues, and sometimes new lathes do, too. All lathes can be improved, if you know how and it is worth your time, effort, and money. Be realistic when pondering choices, and try to avoid pipe dreams.

Lots of very nice work comes off of worn out, loosey goosey equipment. Learn the skills in the time you would otherwise be drooling over ads for new and used machines.

Well said Bob. I have a WWII vintage SB Heavy 10 tool room lathe and a Rockwell lathe from 1969. Both will get the job done but would like a newer lathe with a dro and more capacity. I’ll probably sell the Rockwell and keep the SB once I buy a larger lathe.

Back