Wooden Ship Kits

Welcome aboard!

Don't think I've seen too many here building wooden boats, but must be someone in 30,000 odd members :)

We do all love pics of peoples work, though!

Yes, we love photos of hobbies, machinist or not!

joe

Built a couple of the Billings kits but that was probably 40 years ago. Scary ! They are a lot of fun to construct. But can be dangerous lol. Was using a little saw blade on the Dremel, it bound, then ran around the stock and my left thumb. Took 16 stitches to hold it together.
Would love to see some of your work

Greg

I build some back when I was in the Navy. My favorite brand was Marine Model Company, now defunct I believe. I was into all things sailing. My kits that were successful were solid hulled that needed minor amounts of wood shaping and carving (but much sanding!) I particularly enjoyed 1) replacing pot-metal parts that represented wooden structures with scratch-built wooden structures. 2) doing the rigging as neatly and accurately as possible, and 3) scratch-building additional realistic features.
I tried a few kits that were intended to be built like a real ship: keel, frames, and planking. Different kits simulated this in different ways, I never managed to succeed with these.
And I never tried a full-rigged ship model until I bought another Marine Model Co kit, the clipper ship Swordfish. This was in 1977. I barely got started, but was diverted into other activities (like working on my actual sailboat.) Now, after 43 years and several moves, it still sits on shelf in its box, with all parts, plans, and even extra fittings for some of my customization. But I've not worked on it since perhaps 1979. I would love to find it a good home.
Andrew, are you interested? If not, maybe other HM members are interested? I'm not looking to make much on it, just cover shipping and maybe $20 more. (It was $80+ back in '77.)
Greg in Escondido

I have extensive experience with wooden ship models some in kits others without the kits my last was a 3/8 scale of a McAllister deep-sea tug
and I built it with no plans and no drawings.
I'll post some photos of the tug if interested.
dgehricke

I have extensive experience with wooden ship models some in kits others without the kits my last was a 3/8 scale of a McAllister deep-sea tug
and I built it with no plans and no drawings.
I'll post some photos of the tug if interested.
dgehricke

Love to see some photo's of your models. Craftsmanship is always beautiful.

Roy

Back