Woohoo, Heinrich #6 punch

BWSmith

Registered
Registered
Minor gloat,.... hopefully major improvement over the ubiquitous Roper Whitney hand job for punching sheet metal holes in projects.

Got it off evilbay for an "ok" price. Ordered 2 dies sets from Travers.... 1/8",and 3/16". These are the two main(only) sizes of rivets we use. The dies ain't exactly cheap @ 30$ TTD,but hey who cares? If it makes my day go by a little easier.

Pretty simple frame,"beefy" comes to mind. I'm making a 10g,12"X12" quick removable "table" for it so will be adding some pics here in a few days. It came without the stripper so got to make one of those too.

Pictures please...
Stationary hole punch is definitely on my bucket list. I’ve made due with a HF clone of the handheld that I welded a mount to so I can put it in a vise and make it stationary. One came up locally that was the RW 4tn with a complete set of dies from 1/16” all the way up through 2”. All in perfect shape with factory box for the dies. Got down to $1200 but even though that’s a screamin’ deal compared to new I just couldn’t justify it. Others came up but always missing the dies which probably get parted out on eBay. My other bucket list is a sheet metal corner notcher. So many tools, so little space…

Last edited:
My other bucket list is a sheet metal corner notcher.
Yes, this should be in everybody’s shop. My DiAcro notcher gets used a surprising amount, not just for corner notching but for nibbling, trimming, etc.

Yes, this should be in everybody’s shop. My DiAcro notcher gets used a surprising amount, not just for corner notching but for nibbling, trimming, etc.
The one that got away was a HD pexto portable hand notcher that got down to $75. I just didn’t get how useful one would be until I started watching this guy Karl Fisher/Make It Kustom on YouTube and saw him using his all the time. Now I want one bad.

Done. Had a 1 1/2" steel ball in stock for handle. Made the missing stripper shoe. The table pops on/off very quickly to change out punch and lower die. Hopefully you can see how the table's held on. No holes were drilled in the Heinrich.

Screenshot_20220429-134524_Gallery.jpg

Very nice. Thanks for posting the details.

So how many ton do you think it is rated for? There’s few specs but it says you can punch 1/8” mild steel. Since most of my sheetmetal is 18ga> I’m going to try and adapt my dies from my cheapo handheld on my arbor press and see what happens. Punching is way better than drilling fer sure.

I was doing some random eBay tool surfing and found this corner notcher die addon set. I ended up ordering it for my birthday. I plan on adapting it to my 2tn Jet arbor press, hopefully. Seems like maybe the maker is closing them out.
Woodward Fab Sheet Metal Corner Notching Die Set WFP12-N Notch Notcher

Back