[How-To] Work offset question

Thirteen

Registered
Registered
Hello everyone. New to the forum. I recently purchased a genmitsu 3020 pro v and I love it. I'm currently using universal gcode sender as my control. The issue I'm having is being able to adjust the work offsets. For example when I'm engraving and I find that I'm a little too shallow or a little too deep in my cut I would like to be able to put a plus or minus adjustment into the coordinates to compensate. I noticed that you can right click and get a little window that lets you enter in new coordinates. When I press enter the window goes away and the numbers on the machine have not changed. Could someone please explain to me what I am missing? Thank you for your time. Looking forward to hearing back from someone soon.

Someone will be along, welcome

Hello everyone. New to the forum. I recently purchased a genmitsu 3020 pro v and I love it. I'm currently using universal gcode sender as my control. The issue I'm having is being able to adjust the work offsets. For example when I'm engraving and I find that I'm a little too shallow or a little too deep in my cut I would like to be able to put a plus or minus adjustment into the coordinates to compensate. I noticed that you can right click and get a little window that lets you enter in new coordinates. When I press enter the window goes away and the numbers on the machine have not changed. Could someone please explain to me what I am missing? Thank you for your time. Looking forward to hearing back from someone soon.
Welcome aboard.
On my CNC router, once a job is running I can only adjust the speed of the spindle or the feed rate. The depth of cut is 'hard coded' into the G-code.

Work offsets are not used to adjust depth of cut while the job is running. Work offsets are used to locate the start point for a job which is not typically the machine's home position.

Thank you for the reply. This is strange to me because on every CNC machine I've ever used professionally, this is a very common feature. Offsets need to be adjusted multiple times a day. Granted these are Hass and Mazak etc. but it just seems strange that ugs would offer a control system that does not let you adjust your offsets in any axis without having to change it in your g code program. Some of the jobs I run have hundreds of lines of code I would have to go back and change the depth of cut hundreds of times in the program.
Maybe there is something I'm still missing? I thank you for your input. I will keep digging on this.

Thank you for the reply. This is strange to me because on every CNC machine I've ever used professionally, this is a very common feature. Offsets need to be adjusted multiple times a day. Granted these are Hass and Mazak etc. but it just seems strange that ugs would offer a control system that does not let you adjust your offsets in any axis without having to change it in your g code program. Some of the jobs I run have hundreds of lines of code I would have to go back and change the depth of cut hundreds of times in the program.
Maybe there is something I'm still missing? I thank you for your input. I will keep digging on this.
I'll move this to the CNC sub-forum where it will get more attention.

I'm not trying to make these adjustments while the job is running. You should be able to stop the machine, reset it, make a simple plus or minus adjustment in XY or Z, restart the job and the adjustment is reflected. I apologize if it didn't explain myself fully in the original post. Thank you again very much for your reply and input.

I am not familiar with the controller you are using, but on our Fanuc controller this is easy..... in your programming you should have a couple lines of code that look like this

G43 H1 Z2.0
G0 Z.100
G1 Z-.100 F5.0

G43 read offset for height
H1 use offset 1 for height
You must have the 2 "stops" in your Z so the machine can pick up & read the offset

Now, if you place a .100 shim on top of the work, run the tool down until you get contact, what ever value your Z axis is reading, is the value you plug in to offset 1 (or what ever offset corresponding with the number behind H)

So, you touck off on a .100 shim, your value is -9.0122 , your using H1 (height offset 1) plug -9.0122, into offset 1

Now with this information you should be able to control your Z axis height

Thank you for that. I did however figure out a little work around the situation. I can play with the Z height in Fusion. It's not the fastest work around and I'm sure there's probably a better way but this is how I've been doing it. If you find your too deep or too shallow you can go back into your manufacturer phase in fusion 360 and drop the height lines up or down 5 to 10 thou at a time. The only downside is you have to re-post process every time. Not too big of a deal. Thank you for your replies and input. Greatly appreciated.

Back