Worked on the head stock of 9C lathe

Doc Hoy

Registered
Registered
My 9C was beginning to make a little noise with the back gear disengaged and the lathe running in the upper speed range. Back gear engaged running in low speed was quiet as a church mouse.

1. I had intended to do the roller thrust bearing upgrade so I got hold of the bearing. (20.00 on eBay)
2. I also wanted to redo the oil wicks in the headstock.
3. Needed to inspect the running surfaces.

Built in 1947, I bought the lathe about ten months ago in okay condition. I was fairly certain it had been lightly used but not well maintained. It had actually been in a guy's closet for the last four years.

I had watched a coupla videos on dismantling of the headstock and in each one, the craftsman had made a removal tool using all thread and wooden blocks or sleeves. As I watched the videos the method in use seemed like overkill. Why not just tap the spindle out with a soft mallet? I tried that on mine and it worked. It took very little force. The spindle moved on the first tap. Six or eight light to moderate taps later and I finished removal by hand.

I found the running surfaces to by in like-new condition. But I did not some minor darkening on the center of the spindle whee the oil vanes on the cone pulley has rested for four years. As I said earlier, the lathe operated very quiet with the back gear engaged and the cone pulley turning on the spindle, so I knew the mark was not creating problems. I replaced the wicks before putting it back together. Took the oil cups out and cleaned them up for cosmetic reasons.

For reassembly I found a suggestion in one of the videos to be quite helpful. I noted the position of the keyway in the locking gear and the key on the spindle. That made lining up the locking gear much quicker. I found that the locking gear turned on the spindle quite easily so I will not say the marks were essential.

My lathe has the pin holes in the headstock journal that allows the use of retaining pins to hold the wicks in a retracted position until the spindle is in place.

The roller thrust bearing fit onto the end of the spindle perfectly.

I found on re-installation of the locking collar that the roller thrust bearing is much thicker (perhaps an eighth inch) than the original shims. This means that the locking collar rests further out on the spindle. On my lathe the situation caused the collar to interfere with the reverse gear holder. I had a second collar which I faced in such a way as to remove the offending metal. I faced it down by about fifty thousandths and then releaved the outer perimeter of the collar the rest of the way. This permitted the collar to be installed and the lathe reassembled such that it operates properly in both forward and reverse modes.

This work was rewarded by the quietest lathe I have ever owned. The sound of the lathe was drowned out by two Florida Love Bugs flying around in the shop.

I am pretty happy with this rehab and upgrade. It was much easier that would be indicated by the various videos on the internet.

Nice report on the work. Some pictures would have been nice, but I guess that like me, you get carried away with the work and forget about it. I have to re-felt mine soon.
Where in Florida are you?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Nice report on the work. Some pictures would have been nice, but I guess that like me, you get carried away with the work and forget about it. I have to re-felt mine soon.
Where in Florida are you?

Exactly right. If I had a nickel for every time I wish that I had stopped to take photos, I could buy a new one.

I live in Naples. Not exactly a machinist's or gunsmith's Mecca. But that is okay since I am not exactly a machinist or gunsmith.

Lemme go see if I can take some after-shots.

Exactly right. If I had a nickel for every time I wish that I had stopped to take photos, I could buy a new one.

I live in Naples. Not exactly a machinist's or gunsmith's Mecca. But that is okay since I am not exactly a machinist or gunsmith.

Lemme go see if I can take some after-shots.
Here are some photos.

HS 1 is intended to be the shot of the modified collar.

HS 2 is a less than optimal shot of the relief between the collar and the reverse gear fixture.

HS 3 cleaned up oil cup.

Attachments

• HS 1.jpg
    HS 1.jpg
    362.1 KB · Views: 17
  • HS 2.jpg
    HS 2.jpg
    423.2 KB · Views: 19
  • HS 3.jpg
    HS 3.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 17
I have wanted to pull the headstock spindle on my ‘38 SB9c for years to install a rubber flat endless belt.
Except for the click noise the spliced leather belt makes the high speeds have always been silent.
The back gears are noisy when threading but are oiled & not loose in any way.
I also did the roller thrust bearing upgrade many yrs ago, also had to thin the lock collar a wee bit. A good upgrade.
My 9C had a rough first 30 yrs in a high school. And it looks it. Next 15 or so it traveled around with a race car crew, who sold it to me in the mid 80s.
I use it all the time.
Although the half-nuts are so worn it no longer reliably cuts threads.
I was gonna get a newer larger lathe but i think i’ll get the half nuts rebuilt instead & keep her.

I have wanted to pull the headstock spindle on my ‘38 SB9c for years to install a rubber flat endless belt.
Except for the click noise the spliced leather belt makes the high speeds have always been silent.
The back gears are noisy when threading but are oiled & not loose in any way.
I also did the roller thrust bearing upgrade many yrs ago, also had to thin the lock collar a wee bit. A good upgrade.
My 9C had a rough first 30 yrs in a high school. And it looks it. Next 15 or so it traveled around with a race car crew, who sold it to me in the mid 80s.
I use it all the time.
Although the half-nuts are so worn it no longer reliably cuts threads.
I was gonna get a newer larger lathe but i think i’ll get the half nuts rebuilt instead & keep her.
As I posted the photos I realized that the lathe needed a good cleaning. Did that after the photos.

I recommend half-nut replacement. Anything you would buy used might have more problems that you bargain for.

How about a link belt?

How about a link belt?

Only link belts I know are for replacing v-belts. Is there another type for flat belts?

As for cleaning lathes.... I did mine yesterday but it was not so much cleaning,as removing all the chips from the last couple of jobs. The"real" cleaning rarely happens.
I'm in St Petersburg, BTW. Just up the road.

Only link belts I know are for replacing v-belts. Is there another type for flat belts?

As for cleaning lathes.... I did mine yesterday but it was not so much cleaning,as removing all the chips from the last couple of jobs. The"real" cleaning rarely happens.
I'm in St Petersburg, BTW. Just up the road.

Hmmm. Now there is a good point. When I made the comment I was certain that I could remember seeing a flatbelt replacement in twist belt or link belt. But now I can't find it.

Before retirement I was a professor for Saint Leo University in Dade City and got to St. Petersburg frequently.

Are new half-nuts even available for a SB9c?
There’s a fellow that advertises rebuilding them for around $150.
Thought I would contact him.

Are new half-nuts even available for a SB9c?
There’s a fellow that advertises rebuilding them for around $150.
Thought I would contact him.
I have seen them on eBay, but not looked recently.

Back