[Deals] Working surface grinder make offer..how much?

The nice thing with these grinders are, that they are not too big space wise. Especially for a home shop.
I paid $400.00 Canadian ($325.00US) for my B&S #2. Auto feed. I thought I got a great deal when I bought it but I have seen newer more accurate grinders sell for the same at auctions. These were usually much larger and 3 phase. Also much harder to move at short notice.
Prices here seem to be climbing higher recently.
Cheers
Martin

It depends on what condition it is in. Wear on the ways, damaged parts, and any issues in the spindle will set the pricing. As is, you may have offered too much, IMO...

I bought my B&S 2L from benmychree in this thread for$500, with a disassembled spindle that was known to need repair. We are still friends... ;)

If you cannot take test cuts with a surface grinder under power, regardless of brand, visible condition, or anything else, assume it is a basket case, in my opinion... The actual dollar value can be scrap metal less the cost of moving it, which can end up to be a negative number.

I pinged him again. He is being forced out of his building so he says, but at the same time he doesn't want to move on my offer.
He finally gave me a number
$1100
I gently mentioned that was higher than auto feed machines in newer better shape.
I told him my offer is good if he changes his mind.

Thanks for all the help gents. I really appreciate it. All this homework online about the use of a grinder makes me think I need one! That is the tool collector issue in me coming out.

Checking through the "sold" listings on eBay most older (and tired looking) manual grinders seem to be going for around $800.00. The larger automatics go anywhere from $1,200.00 to more than $8,000.00. In our area there are currently several listed on Craigslist. The nicer manuals are listed in the $800.00 to $1,000.00 range, while the poorer looking ones are listed in the $500.00 range.

Like anything else the price is dependent on location, demand, and condition. Being in the rust belt the prices in our area seem to generally be lower than in areas with less manufacturing or more demand for used equipment. Back in 1012 I purchased a Sanford MG 612 manual grinder. It was in excellent condition and came with several assorted wheels. The price at that time was slightly more than what you offered for the Brown & Sharpe.

Before making a purchase I would check in out thoroughly. If the ways are worn, the spindle bearings need replacement, or there are problems with the motor, repairs could easily run more than double the cost of the machine. As for factory support, most of the "maintenance" components are off the shelf. Motors can be rebuilt or reconditioned, but it's not cheap. About the only things that aren't available these days are castings, table parts, and ways. On many machines the ways are replaceable, but you'll have to either make them, or have them made. Again not cheap.

This is the grinder I purchased for about the same price as you offered. It looked exactly like this when I purchased it. It didn't require any cleaning, reconditioning, or new parts.

View attachment 308878View attachment 308879View attachment 308880
Great shop space. Looks awesome!

One of our group (SVHSM) bought a B&S Micromaster (all hydraulic feed) a vastly superior machine as compared to the #2 for around $1,000, in nice condition. This was in Northern Ca.

One of our group (SVHSM) bought a B&S Micromaster (all hydraulic feed) a vastly superior machine as compared to the #2 for around $1,000, in nice condition. This was in Northern Ca.
Yep, my 618 micromaster was 1300 in Oregon. Paying 1100 for a #2 sees pretty high. $6-700 is probably the max I would go. Also, after using my micromaster, I'd HATE a manual machine. Having to switch forward/backwards manually is enough work for me, I couldn't imagine trying to do all the other steps it is doing on its own.

That said, the Micromaster is a giant that takes a big corner of my shop...

Projectnut,

Your MG looks just like mine except much better condition. Also mine does not have the Sanford MG logo at the top. Nice find.

I haven't put mine in service yet as several other projects are in front. But I would like to know how you like your machine. And the motor on mine is not original. Would you be willing to take a couple of pics of the back and let me know the motor specs and pulley sizes? Thanks.

Best Regards,
Bob

Projectnut,

Your MG looks just like mine except much better condition. Also mine does not have the Sanford MG logo at the top. Nice find.

I haven't put mine in service yet as several other projects are in front. But I would like to know how you like your machine. And the motor on mine is not original. Would you be willing to take a couple of pics of the back and let me know the motor specs and pulley sizes? Thanks.

Best Regards,
Bob

I do like the machine. The only downside is the fact that it is a manual machine. It can get boring, to the point of mind numbing to do large, or multiple parts. I did get spoiled using a DoAll automatic at work, and several other brands of automatics when I was in the process of trying to find one for my shop.

I originally considered purchasing the DoAll we had at work. The shop it was in was closing down, and all the machines were up for sale. After careful consideration I decided it took up too much floor space, and really didn't want the smell of the hydraulic fluid wafting through the house. I looked for a smaller manual machine for several months before coming on this one. There were several B&S, Boyar Schultz, Kent, KO Lee, Harig, and Covel machines for sale within a 300 mile radius. I looked at over a dozen before I came upon the Sanford. Most were in poor condition. The ones that were in good condition had an asking price higher than I was willing to pay.

The Sanford belonged to a shop that was doing contract work for Outboard Marine. The owner wanted to retire and knew the only way that Outboard Marine would stop sending him work was if he no longer had the machinery necessary to do the jobs. I had to disassemble the machine to transport it back to my shop. The disassembly process took less than an hour. However when it came time to reassemble it the process took nearly a week. Once assembled I did a few test grinds with coupons on each corner of the machine. I think I disassembled, shimmed, and reassembled various parts of the machine a dozen times before I got it to grind all 4 coupons within .0001"

There are several other threads on Sanford machines on this board. Here's a link to one of the longer ones. It has files attached and links to manuals, brochures, and specifications for the various machines Sanford built.

As for the motor on your machine it could very well be the original. Sanford offered the MG either with or without a motor. In many cases the original owner either supplied the motor to Sanford, or installed their own on delivery. My machine, built in 1954 has a Hoover 1/2 hp 110/220 volt single phase, sealed bearing, 3,450 rpm motor. In the sales brochures the company offers the option of 1 hp single phase, or 1 hp 3 phase motors. Later years had a 3/4 hp TEFC motor as standard.

I am currently out of town, and won't be returning home until after the first of the year. When I get back I'll take a few pictures and get the dimensions of the pulleys.

Last edited:
For a type of machine that I really want vs a deal of opportunity on something I'd someday like to have I tend to look at what a new Chinese machine would cost. Just to give me a baseline to work from.

Grizzly sells surface grinders, a new manual 6x18 SG costs $4995 for a made in China machine. Not saying you should pay anywhere near that, or that you should buy a Chinese machine, but if you needed a SG right now, no time to shop used that is what you would pay. Based on that, then one in solid working condition for $1000 doesn't seem unreasonable. If it is more an opportunity to get a machine that might be handy, $1000 could buy a lot of could actually use things.

Clearly people find them for $500-1000, but you never know the exact situation that got them their machine, mint condition, working with some issues, a project, lucky (seller needs it gone ASAP), bought from a friend / acquaintance, live in the land of machine bargains?

Of course for those would like to have, but in no rush kind of machines you have the advantage of waiting for a great deal.

Yes, I do mitigate my iron accumulation disease by researching the crap out of things hoping a local good deal will sell before I can convince myself to buy it. ;)

I have almost that exact B&S #2 grinder and mag chuck. Mine was if rough shape but priced accordingly. It was free for the hauling and even included several boxes of assorted wheels, many new, and tooling. I ended up spending $50 to rent a U-Haul trailer to get it home, and another couple hundred on all new bearings, and balls for the table to roll on. All in I may be close to $500 into it so far. I am now in the process of converting it to an electric auto feed using stepper motors.
It came in very handy to make custom valve shims for my Yamaha to get the valve clearance just perfect instead of just close using the stock shims. Based on the serial number on mine it was bad somewhere between 1904 and 1914. Mine was originally belt drive and at some point converted to an electric motor drive. The spindle bearings were the only bearings I did not have to replace.

I am really glad I went thru the effort to get it, haul it home and drag it down the basement steps.

Back