Working to Tenths with Economy Tooling

So am I the only one kicking myself for buying inferior tools? I made a terrible mistake! Live and learn.

Erik, please be a little more gentle with yourself. There are a lot of new guys in our hobby today that wouldn't be were it not for import tools. If your tools allow you to do what you want to do then who cares if it doesn't read dead on with a NIST-traceable gauge block? As long as it is consistent then that's what matters.

Years ago, I made a pin to slip fit into a block that I bored. I was going for a slip fit but I actually wanted to have an air bearing fit, just to see if I could do it. I got that fit and I was really happy! Turned out that the mic I used to read the OD of the pin and the telescoping gauge used in the bore was off calibration and I had to adjust the collar on the mic but the pin still fit in that bore. This was many years ago and it was an old Helios mic; still have it, still use it.

So sure, buy better tools as you are able to afford them but don't beat yourself up for buying those tools. Use them.

What makes the tools inferior?...

Inferior to Starrett, Mitutoyo, Brown & Sharpe, etc. I just wish that I had spent the $2,500 on a smaller number of the proven winners, if for no other reason than not having to second guess the equipment.

Rather than bashing any particular country for importing what is often junk, I just want to say that we had Starrett, Mitutoyo, etc. at school, and the tools were a pleasure to work with.

Of course, I will be moving full speed ahead with the equipment that I bought & I will report how it is going on the forum.

Years ago , we didn't have many choices as to which brands were available , and they were all expensive . Making $3.11 an hour starting out as an apprentice , half the $$$ I made went back to the company . We had a tool loan program set up for the young guys starting out . It was Starrett , B &S , Mits , Fowler , Lufkin maybe a few more . The " oldtimers " steered you in the right direction as to what quality meant .

There are plenty of used tools out there though of top quality as many machinists are retiring or expiring these days . Hit the yard sales and flea markets when you become dis-satisfied with the tools you own . You'll probably find that nice sets of Starretts go for less than the new imported stuff .

Having used import and Mitutoyo and Starrett... They have their place. The big names have a nicer fit and finish, smoother action, better feel.. And yeah, more accurate from what I can tell. I think it's more that the feel is more consistent, so it's ME that is more accurate at least some of the time.

Out of curiosity, I calibrated 3 mics to the same standard, being as careful as possible. New mitutoyo digital, tenths reading mechanical Starrett, and a Harbor Freight digital. I measured a few things around the shop with each a few times. Got more consistent readings with the big names, drifted a couple of tenths with the HF. That's more accurate than I am on the tools, plenty good enough. I use the HF for times I think I might drop it and to get within 10 thou or so. Switch to one of the others for final size and inspection. Or when the HF eats the battery I swear and grab a mechanical. :) The Mitutoyo has never left me hanging like that, I don't know how the HF manages to eat batteries so fast.

Keep in mind that most of what you do in a home shop is +/-0.005 or more. Even HF calipers can measure that tolerance. :)

I do have the option of listing my Shars tools on eBay while I use them, and then using the net proceeds to get good stuff.

This wouldn’t cost me anything except my time. If they never sold, I could just keep them.

Well do let us know if you list them.
I’m still building up my inventory of metrology gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well do let us know if you list them.
I’m still building up my inventory of metrology gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will get them up Sunday & Monday. What is the forum friendly way to do this? I saw a subforum where members who have contributed to this fine forum can sell stuff. I should give the people here first dibs, including trades for what I consider higher quality equipment.

I definitely don’t want to tick off the powers that be.

I will get them up Sunday & Monday. What is the forum friendly way to do this? I saw a subforum where members who have contributed to this fine forum can sell stuff. I should give the people here first dibs, including trades for what I consider higher quality equipment.

I definitely don’t want to tick off the powers that be.
Give this a try before giving eBay your $$$$, Subscribe to H-M and try to sell them here in the classified area.
We'd all benefit from that.

Back