Workman's comp?

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
40 years of running around in 911 ambulances has given me tinnitus, and enough hearing loss that I will be needing hearing aids eventually. Has anyone delt with wc settlements? I did try to get communication systems like the fire trucks have but was told that OSHA did not require them to have it, so it was a no go. I'm wondering if this is going to be something I might need a lawyer for? I did have hearing protection in the end of my career, but it is problematic having to talk with your partner during a run.

Filing a claim for hearing loss is going to be an uphill battle at best. According to John Hopkins Medicine 1 in 3 adults over 65 suffer significant hearing loss as a normal part of aging. You're probably going to have to prove that working conditions were such that they were a major cause or at least a major contributor to your need for hearing aids.

I worked for over 20 years in extremely noisy industrial situations. We were always required to have and wear hearing protection. However, like you it was nearly impossible to carry on meaningful conversation or give instructions with the hearing protection in place. Consequently, much of the time was spent with the protection only in place enough to give the illusion it was being worn properly.

We were required to take an annual hearing test to determine whether the hearing protection was adequate and hearing loss was prevented. As you might guess there was minor loss from year to year. Nothing drastic, but notable on the annual reports. I'm now over 75 and according to medical professionals still do not require hearing aids. There is however some disagreement between the professionals and my wife.

In any case several friends have required hearing assistance over the years. Many have tried expensive (upwards of $5,000.00 to $8,000.00) units with poor results for the money spent. Most everyone has been more than satisfied with those available through Costco at about $1,500.00.

You might be successful in filing a workman's comp claim. However, be prepared for a long and protracted battle. If you do need to resort to an attorney that cost alone may negate any benefit you win. Before taking that route, I would ask the attorney their success rate on this type of claim, and what the client total out of pocket cost has been for those cases that were successful.

I've failed every hearing test taken over the past 30 years . I had to sign off papers at my last employer .

Agree with @projectnut, you will have a very tough time proving causation, with or without a lawyer.

I have partial hearing loss from too much loud music in my wasted youth. In the very early days of computers I wrote a program that generated tones starting down in the hundred hertz range and stepping by 10 hz up to 20k. I discovered a significant range around 6k where I heard nothing at all. Unfortunately, that seems to be the frequency range of my wife's voice.

I did do my own audiology testing, and was seen by the ENT Dr. who stated the graph shows noise related hearing damage, but I do figure there to be age related losses as well.

Hearing loss is hard to collect on. When I worked at the end plant ( tops of pop top cans ) they wanted me to sign off on hearing loss for 5 thousand. Even wearing ear plugs under ear muffs there was hearing loss. The massive concussion from all the punch presses could be felt in the parking lot.

Agree with @projectnut, you will have a very tough time proving causation, with or without a lawyer.

I have partial hearing loss from too much loud music in my wasted youth. In the very early days of computers I wrote a program that generated tones starting down in the hundred hertz range and stepping by 10 hz up to 20k. I discovered a significant range around 6k where I heard nothing at all. Unfortunately, that seems to be the frequency range of my wife's voice.

Perfect. Loud rock music hearing damage perfectly tuned to your wife’s voice frequency….

Get an attorney that specializes in WC. That is your only hope.

Workers comp (different insurers in different states) are afraid of lawyers.
They usually deny the first claim, no matter what. They will find a reason. A lawyer knows all their tricks which is why WC companies are afraid

fortunately, that seems to be the frequency range of my wife's voice.
Oops, missed a couple of letters! :cool:
100 years ago while in 4th grade I already had hearing loss. I've had hearing aids for quite a few years. I've got the Costco ones now. They are better than the more expensive ones I've had in the past. There are some frequencies I barely can hear at all. Listening to people talk while there is considerable back ground noise is really difficult.

Back