Workman's comp?

When my Dad was 60 he was involved in a workplace accident that shattered his ankle and caused him to retire. He had worked construction all his life and suffered hearing loss because of it. The work comp attorney he hired negotiated a settlement for him that included free hearing aids for life. He lived to turn 94 and had a whole box full of hearing aids that he had collected over the years.

I myself worked construction my entire career and also suffer tinnitus, it only gets worse with age and you have to live with it. I've even tried the "Gummies" to know avail.

I called the tinnitus help line, but it just keeps ringing . . . .

If you feel strongly that your hearing issues come from the job years ago then by all means get an attorney and go for it.

What bothered me over the years were employees trying to file false claims. This hurts everyone.

We had one guy that worked as a service advisor for ten years. He was a crew chief on a helicopter in Vietnam. During the Tet offensive he said his unit was exposed to close mortar attacks. The noise of the Huey and machine guns were a constant aggravation according to him.

I was surprised to see a WC hearing loss claim due to the explosions in the shop, grinders and air guns.
He worked in an office away from the shop. Explosions? I never heard any.

He was denied straight away.

Don't get me wrong, I gave him the respect he deserved, we were friends after all.
The fact that he filed a claim just rubbed me the wrong way.

When my Dad was 60 he was involved in a workplace accident that shattered his ankle and caused him to retire. He had worked construction all his life and suffered hearing loss because of it. The work comp attorney he hired negotiated a settlement for him that included free hearing aids for life. He lived to turn 94 and had a whole box full of hearing aids that he had collected over the years.

I myself worked construction my entire career and also suffer tinnitus, it only gets worse with age and you have to live with it. I've even tried the "Gummies" to know avail.

I called the tinnitus help line, but it just keeps ringing . . . .
I was the employer steel construction most of life. Only one Workman's comp claim only because he took off his gloves and cut him self .

The work place can be very safe.
Steel construction is number three for dangerous job.

The work place can be a very safe but the boss will push for speed.

Dave

FYI
I was disabled in 2009 because of chemotherapy, but did not go on disability. I retired in 2018

My next youngest brother was part of a mortar crew in the Vietnam era. He lost all hearing in one ear and partial hearing in the other when a round misfired. He didn't have to claim any workman's comp. He got some disability from the military with no questions asked.

Get an attorney that specializes in WC. That is your only hope.
This. I had a back injury when working for the phone company, and my union and the company did all that the law requires FROM THEM, but this did not necessarily help me. A lawyer quickly started working on my behalf (at 40% mind you) which, in the end paid for a new house. It isn't everything, and my back is never going to be right again, but it does help.

Not enough I bet.
As I recall it was about 50%. He had other medical problems, however most of them could be traced to a misspent youth. He couldn't understand that the consequences of what he'd done would follow him the rest of his life. He did manage to turn his life around, but still passed away at only 63.

most of them could be traced to a misspent youth. He couldn't understand that the consequences of what he'd done would follow him the rest of his life.
When you are young what it is like to be old never affects your life choices.

As I recall it was about 50%. He had other medical problems, however most of them could be traced to a misspent youth. He couldn't understand that the consequences of what he'd done would follow him the rest of his life. He did manage to turn his life around, but still passed away at only 63.
63 is way to young!
Especially now that I am 67. It just seems so young!!
I'm sorry for your loss. Dad's are important

You can look a filing, a hearing doctor would need to diagnose and document the injury.

Different states have different rules, simple disability may work with just Dr report, but there are many layers to this, that is why they have lawyers for this.

If you are in a union, check with them, if not, start with HR.

You also could check with your state OSHA to see if there are regulations, old fire trucks were open cab, now sound proof.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Back