Worm gear

snoopdog

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
So, a little background about why , on my other saw thread. My old toledo power hacksaw needed repaired, the cam follower cracked, so it wasn't raising the blade on the forward stroke. Ruined a blade, woe is me, brazed it back together, but the old girl is showing her age. In the meantime my cousin gave me a little 4x6 duracraft, hf copy. Well, the first time I tried to use it, it completely stalled, and after some teardown this is what I found. Now, I can't get a good dimension, but the closest I can come to, sourcing is cost prohibitive. Is it an actual worm gear? And if anyone has a pic of a good one/ w dimensions, it would be appreciated. I'm not sweating it too much, because it was free, and now I know why, I just wouldn't like to junk it if I can help it. Maybe repair and offset the cost of another saw, if feasible. I haven't done a thorough search here , so don't beat me up too bad.
20240225_153419.jpg
20240225_153427.jpg

That is actually a pretty common 20 tooth worm wheel/gear- available on Amazon
Many 4x6 machines use one like it
There may be different bore sizes available; some have a keyway, some don't etc.
I would source it from Amazon. Grizzly charges more I'm sure and has longer lead time
Looks like wrong oil or no oil in gearbox

Last edited:
That is actually a pretty common 20 tooth worm wheel/gear- available on Amazon
Many 4x6 machines use one like it
There may be different bore sizes available; some have a keyway, some don't etc.
I would source it from Amazon. Grizzly charges more I'm sure and has longer lead time
Looks like wrong oil or no oil in gearbox
Thanks

Yes, likely the wrong oil; do not use EP gear oils with bronze worm gears, the EP additive corrodes the bronze and the worm wipes the corrosion off in a continuous fashion. Best is a 600W oil for most applications.

Yes, likely the wrong oil; do not use EP gear oils with bronze worm gears, the EP additive corrodes the bronze and the worm wipes the corrosion off in a continuous fashion. Best is a 600W oil for most applications.
I'm assuming 600w is a typo, but good to know. My theory is , the blade was jumping off, and someone really cranked the blade tension. I base that on the lean of what teeth are left, in the rotational direction.

I'm assuming 600w is a typo, but good to know. My theory is , the blade was jumping off, and someone really cranked the blade tension. I base that on the lean of what teeth are left, in the rotational direction.
600W is not a typo, it is steam cylinder oil and widely used for worm gear lubrication, it is usually a combination of mineral and animal oils and carries more load than straight mineral oil and most formulations are emulsifiable with water, best for saturated steam cylinders, they are heavy bodied, but become quite thin at steam temperatures.

Back