Would this be a good buy?

markba633csi

Mark Silva
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Person selling Grizzly 0463 bench mill converted to cnc by someone he knew who builds cnc machines for other companies. Mach 3 system, don't know if it's licensed or demo version. Looks like fun but I'm a babe in the woods with these things
Doesn't work- not sure what's wrong but from what I gather he lost the XML parameters or the drive stopped booting (still trying to find out which). The computer apparently won't talk to the machine now, but it worked last year. It's a beefy small mill (approx 450 lbs. stock)
He's asking 1600$ but I wouldn't pay that much- maybe half or less. I don't even know if it has ballscrews or not- it should
What do you think? Looks like a nice piece of hardware and electronics. Any specific questions I should ask?
Grizzcnc1.jpggrizzelec1.jpg

Last edited:
I would think $1k would be more realistic, but guess it depends on location. Around here, you can sometimes score a full sized CNC mill for a little more than that.

I hear that- I don't like the fact that I might have to buy a new Mach 3 license at 175 clams. I'd rather have open source
It is a nice chunk of hardware though with a lot of the grunt work already done

Hardware I'm better at- software and cnc I know almost nothing
I guess I'll pass after reading this on Homeshopmachinist.net:

I've owned this mill. It is a Sieg made piece of **** that flexes like a wet noodle. You can make the spindle deflect .001 or more with slight finger pressure. The Z column is much too weak and I would have serious trust issues that the X and Y are perpendicular. It's the mini lathe of milling machines. If it's only 20$, well... The CNC conversion components aren't worth the investment to put in this pig. That's like putting a F1 drive train into a kiddie amusement park ride.

Last edited:
Back