Would this motor work for adding a VFD to a Rong-Fu mill?

Is the KB electronics controller this one? I'll have to check if this motor has a capacitor start and run, since this one can't be used with those features.
DC motors dont use capacitor start
The 3 controllers you listed only the first one will work(most expensive) if it is rated for the full amperage of the motor you have
You will have to know the HP rating of the motor to get the right plug in resistor
The second one on the list is only rated for 2 amps
The last one you listed was rated at 6 amps but they are for fans etc low torque applications
I run a simular controller on my mill drill with a 2 hp dc baldor motor and it is fused with 10 amp fuses(240vdc)
Make sure the controller you get will handle the current draw of your motor

Thanks for the info.

How would I find the true HP rating?

I typed in "DC motor controller 110 v" to get those results, but I knew there would be ones that wouldn't work.

Looks like I'll need something with around a 20 Amp rating if I'm using 110V, correct?

Last edited:
Thanks.

Is the 40-80% sweet spot RPM?

I didn't think it was really 2HP, either!
I'm my experience yes. Below that it's easier to bog the motor down with heavy cuts, above that the motor will get pretty loud. Not unbearable, but if you don't need to run it that high, why do so?

A simple and relatively easy to find controller is the mc60. Would be a good fit for that motor and they're real easy to wire up. Kb drivers are very good and sometimes you can find a prepackaged and sealed penta drive, which are even easier to use.

Thanks for the info.

I typed in "DC motor controller 110 v" to get those results, but I knew there would be ones that wouldn't work.

Looks like I'll need something with a 20 Amp rating?
I would find out how many amps your motor draws and go from there
20 amps is a big draw and controllers would be expensive
When you are researching they should list the HP and max amperage
If the treadmill plugged into a household socket (15 amps) then you wont need a 20 amp contoller

I'm my experience yes. Below that it's easier to bog the motor down with heavy cuts, above that the motor will get pretty loud. Not unbearable, but if you don't need to run it that high, why do so?

A simple and relatively easy to find controller is the mc60. Would be a good fit for that motor and they're real easy to wire up. Kb drivers are very good and sometimes you can find a prepackaged and sealed penta drive, which are even easier to use.
Would this work:
https://www.kb-controls.com/product.sc?productId=11&/&utm_source=localiq_pmax_&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=localiq_pmaxshoppingads&gclid=CjwKCAjwg5uZBhATEiwAhhRLHuUAQjkMkPg-oY9V-zAWHMSgK2Ug3eLI9T3nCDylhs3aH09pIR29iBoC_J8QAvD_BwE

I can get a plug-in HP resistor on the same site.

I'll keep looking for Penta drives; the ones I've found so far are enclosures only, or some other brand that comes up.

Thanks!

Looks good to me, but #Ulma Doc is the expert on kb drives, he'll know.

Penta drives are basically the same as the one you linked to buy in a sealed dust proof enclosure. I think they have f/r switch too, though that may depend on the model

This one comes up almost every time I do a search:
KBMD-240D (9370) DC Drives, Nema 1

It's about $150. For another $67 you can get a fwd/brake/rev switch. The plug-in HP resistor (#9850) is a whopping $1.50.

I may have to see what the shaft size is on the DC motor and what's going to be involved in mounting it.

KBIC-125 is the one I'm using, it's a dc drive with a horsepower resistor (current sensing resistor)
The one you were asking about in post #10 is a "light dimmer" type of control for AC; it would work for a universal ac/dc motor but not for
a dc motor like yours. Poor speed regulation, hence the low price
You can often pick up KB controls on Ebay for around 50$- I found one for 20$ that the seller couldn't guarantee- worked fine

Last edited:
Back