Would you buy....

When I was looking at that RF30, and it's daunting 660 lbs heft, even though it was mounted on a bench, I had a hard time considering it mini. So let me get this straight, just raising the head by way of the crank that is a rack and pinion sort of design, it would need recentering? Wow, that is a bit of a pain.
Hopefully this PM works out this weekend....

It moves some about the column. The distance from the spindle to the column stays the same, as does the Tram (spindle bore being 90 degs to the table).

If you are not in the middle of a project, if it turns a 1/2" thats your new starting point. If you had a DRO, all you need to do is hit the zero. If you don't, you just find the center, or edge, or whatever, for your starting point, on the project.

If you have ever used a drill press, and moved the table, the relation of the spindle center to the center hole on the table changes, But the angle of the hole that gets drilled, to the table stays the same.

If you rotate the head, so it is not in line with the column, or 90 degs to the table, then you need to retram the head. That is the same as most mills. But also something you may never do.

Only times I can think of that I had somewhat of a problem, was: I drilled a hole, then wanted to use the boring head, but did not have enough room, so I had to raise the head. but then I lost the center of the hole, and had to use an indicator to get the spindle lined up with the hole again. Then use the boring bar. An extra minute maybe. Or when I needed to drop the head to continue boring the air compressor.

Yea, you generally hear them referred to as a mill- drill, But then compared to my Van Norman, it is mini. LOL.

Definitely prefer the PM, and the DRO.

Last edited:
The only real limitations are in your mind. Never say it can't be done, I just take it as a challenge.

THIS is like my hero Frank Zappa said, is the crux of the biscuit. That has been the hardest concept to wrap my head around with pure machining. I was a mechanic and the machining I did used machines that were specific to the job. Line bore, valve grinding, brake lathe, head surfacing, cylinder boring and Sunnen rod hone. They did what they did and I don't remember trying to adapt them to doing other things. So getting a mill and lathe was so open ended. Seeing
how different folks get it done on various forums and YouTube using what they have and creativity is pretty inspiring.

THIS is like my hero Frank Zappa said, is the crux of the biscuit. That has been the hardest concept to wrap my head around with pure machining. I was a mechanic and the machining I did used machines that were specific to the job. Line bore, valve grinding, brake lathe, head surfacing, cylinder boring and Sunnen rod hone. They did what they did and I don't remember trying to adapt them to doing other things. So getting a mill and lathe was so open ended. Seeing
how different folks get it done on various forums and YouTube using what they have and creativity is pretty inspiring.
i entirely agree, though complete free style is a bit early for me. I'm a year head, rebuilt my first carb (motorcycle) when I was 7. I gotta learn the chops first. Watching some here is inspiring, but I don't believe that's gonna just be natural for me.

When you are not doing it for a living, or to that bike running again, you can play around, and try different ideas.

The first things I made on the mill, were a simple set of drink coasters. Then I realized I really needed a vise, and got one off E-bag, that was missing the jaws. So I made a couple of sets.

Once I got my mind off the idea of messing stuff up (Retired, so its mainly just time and materials wasted). things become easier.

Don't have to think just metal. I just used some big PCV fittings, and machined one down to make an adaptor to use a V8 air filter housing on my RV's Onan generator.

Interesting, I do need to make some very precise gauges out of 1/2" acrylic. ..never thought about milling it! Wonder where I'd find 1/2" acrylic plate? That's for that direction. ..outside metal....

For me I'd never even think about owning a lathe or mill without the project I'd need it for. As a mech we never had a lathe or mill in the various shops and when I took metal shop in high school we didn't have required projects for the lathe. So I just messed with the lathe and like everybody else made a pipe. I don't remember specifically seeing a mill in the shop. But there were endless times as a line mech where I had to make a tool with scrap metal, welder, grinders and a drill press. All stuff you'd find in a repair shop. Even at the dealerships there were things we had to do there weren't specific tools for. So it's about visualizing the tool or piece. And for the first time I can really carry through so now have to visualize the process and steps involved.

In reading about the shortcomings of the RF30 there were always proposed workarounds. To keep from losing register by moving the head up and down I noticed early on the biggest culprit was the drill chuck for eating up Z. So I quit using it and got a complete set of R8 collets and sets of screw length drill bits. Yeah, lots of tool/collet changes but whatchagonnado? The next was a cheap DRO setup and while not fancy and can't lay out bolt circles or do trig, it does make it so I can jog clear of the part and mount the new tool then jog back and get right back to 0. The last workaround that I'd heard of but had always been able to get around with my collets and sets of bits was I had to lift the head for a boring head. The workaround was putting a magnetic laser on the head and shooting across the garage to use a plumb bob line to keep register. Worked perfectly and once again HF comes to the rescue for less than $30.

If I ever do get a big boy mill it will be so much easier because I won't have to plan out the whole process so extensively. But I don't feel like I've wasted my time. It's brain training :)

I think I could get back to a place outside Philadelphia, but thats a heck of a drive, when there is so many online places now days.

I have a small stash of the white plastic cutting boards. I grab them at yard sales, if I see them cheap. Except for some soft jaws, I have not done much except to collect.

when I took metal shop in high school we didn't have required projects for the lathe. So I just messed with the lathe and like everybody else made a pipe. I don't remember specifically seeing a mill in the shop. :)
Thats funny. I was thinking the same thing earlier, Cannot recall any mills. We had projects to make. I made an all metal hammer. Mostly on the lathe, and band saw. Also a cold chisel. I still have those. In the foundry portion, I made a big penney. And a crazy piece of jewelry, made by silver soldering some copper, brass, and stainless on top of each other, and polishing forever.

Classess that high schools should not have done away with. Metal shop, Wood shop, Home ec, drivers ed, art. They may not have a direct connection with needed skill set, but shure do add an all around knowledge of how things work.

They don’t have wood/metal shop in school any longer??
The idea with the laser on the head to get back in exact position is genius. I’m sure there are workarounds to the issues of all mills, I’m gonna have my own set of issues if I get this PM727.
I’m sure you can you use lesser tools if you don’t have a mill or lathe, but I have watched people make tools/parts etc...that are better quality, fit finish that you can find about anywhere.
There is time for backyard mechanic and no doubt a time for precision machining. I’m excited for the door this will open, assuming I’m alive long enough to learn the ropes.
I’m not good with trigonometry....

Back