WoW....Checked the tram on my new PM 728-VT

Dumb question for the OP: Did you turn the spindle 180 degrees and confirm that the readings don't change?
Yes, I did...the gauge comes with a small magnet that you use to calibrate both gauges to the same height. I placed the magnet on the table and set one gauge and rotated the spindle to the other gauge and set that one and then checked the tram in both axis. I also checked the calibration of the gauges with the magnet in different locations on the table and the calibration and tram was the same. You can see the magnet on the table in the background of that second pic.

I got my new tram gauge today and I checked the tram on my new 728 vt . It was dead nuts in both axis.....I didn’t have to do any adjustments at all....Thank You Precision Mathews.....:)

Mine was dead nuts too. With a haimer I saw less than 0.02mm across the entire X axis!
I believe they are trammed before they leave the factory and are really tightened well.
It was really good to see this.

Congrats you guys!!

You must be living right for sure. I recently received mine, running thru the set up and checks I did not see your good fortune. But, they are production pieces.

Hey, can one of you please buy me a lotto ticket ;)

I haven't checked my tram with an indicator yet... but my 3 inch 4 insert Shell cutter puts a perfect pattern on top of the steel, with no dishing. It is true whether I cut from left to right, or right to left. That alone tells me everything is darn close.

I haven't checked my tram with an indicator yet... but my 3 inch 4 insert face mill cutter puts a perfect pattern on top of the steel, with no dishing. It is true whether I cut from left to right, or right to left. That alone tells me everything is darn close.
Have you done facing on Y to see if you have any nod to address?

I've always thought it was good to know before using an item, but maybe its best not to know if it just flat works well.

Hmmmm....I smell a great topic for a poll. Out of the box tram numbers! I'd be curious to know it. PM mentioned to me that they were aware some folks where scoring huge with incredible out of the box results, but its not their expectation.

I've always thought it was good to know before using an item, but maybe its best not to know if it just flat works well.

Hmmmm....I smell a great topic for a poll. Out of the box tram numbers! I'd be curious to know it. PM mentioned to me that they were aware some folks where scoring huge with incredible out of the box results, but its not their expectation.
erixgix,
It is "best practice" to confirm trueness before you use an piece of equipment. If you intend some upgrades, it makes sense to put it off. I trued my lathe first, but then decided to install new brass gibs, and headstock bearings. Guess what, I will have to repeat all of those metrology exercises over again after those upgrades. So now, I do a spot check on shop equipment, do whatever mods it needs, and then do all the metrology.

In the case of brackets, which will have slots on them to adjust tenths of an inch, it is less critical. This is especially factual on the brackets, when you have confirmed the surfacing runs parallel with the table, and you have examined the large face mill is not creating central dips when cutting in the four primary cutting directions. In this latter case, it is with certainty the mill is cutting within 1/1000 of an inch, which is close enough for slotted brackets.

Once all the goodies are installed (X-Axis power feed, Digital Read Outs with scales, a vice), then I can worry about the possible tenths of thousandths it *could* be off. For the record, the Vice is in, as well is the X-Axis power feed. I am considering a power Z axis upgrade as well; cranking that head up and down is "tiresome".

Congrats you guys!!

You must be living right for sure. I recently received mine, running thru the set up and checks I did not see your good fortune. But, they are production pieces.

Hey, can one of you please buy me a lotto ticket ;)
After checking mine and getting those dead nut readings.... that's the first thing I thought of was going out and buying a lottery ticket but I got busy and forgot about it...lol

Back