Wow I’m a lousy welder

More welding today. Switched to a roll of .024 solid wire and 75/25 gas.
Much better except the gun cable has to be darn near straight to avoid a bees nest at the wire roller.
It might be time for a new liner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you sure you have the feed roller in the right position for the .024 wire? Many machines require swapping the feed roller out, or flipping it over to run smaller wire. Cheers, Mike

You might want to put alittle tension on your roll of wire

Are you sure you have the feed roller in the right position for the .024 wire? Many machines require swapping the feed roller out, or flipping it over to run smaller wire. Cheers, Mike

Good question.
It’s bunching up as it comes off the roller and into the tube.
I’ll have a look at my manual and see what it says.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check and see if your wire is feeding smoothly through the tip... if you have dings or slag buildup on the tip the wire may not be feeding through it correctly.

-Bear

Check also that there is no burr left where the liner may have been cut to length. Also, on my old Miller 135 you could flip the drive roller for the proper size wire... but the groove was not aligned with the wire. I had to pull the wire over slightly so it sat in the groove. Once it was in the groove, it stayed there.

There is also an adjustment for how hard the drive roller grips the wire. I have mine set so that if there is a momentary obstruction the drive wheels will slip instead of birds nesting. There is a fine line between allowing a bit of slip when needed to being to loose and not getting even feed. I almost always use .023 solid wire.

I can relate to the diminishing skills, 35 years ago I was a certified welder, Now I can make chicken chit welds with the best of them. I have not picked up a TIG torch since 35 years ago. I would hate to see what that would look like now.

An often overlooked problem is improper grounding. Make sure your ground clamp is making in good contact on bright bare metal. Also be sure both work pieces are equally grounded.

Back