Wrong tap in the package? Has anyone had it happen?

Same thing with Home Depot. Mine was a simple 1/4-20 Tap and drill set. But it was clear after the first use that the tap drill was the wrong size. I had no idea that it was such a common occurrence.

Eric

Yeah it can happen , I guess we'd better check if it's an important piece,.

I read and check new tools and then measure to be sure it's right. My comparator has saved my behind more than once on mis-marked tools.

Mfg put a left hand tap in the package, makes it hard to start!

I could see a wrong size metric at the factory but an English to metric foul up my money is on a customer return. Reminds me of the sealed blueray movie I purchased this weekend from Walmart, when I popped it in the player it said, "This movie has been viewed before, resume or play from start" and I was like :thinking:.

I know sometimes there is a customer return and the other customer put in the wrong tool. But this was in a vacuum wrapped package like the Irwin ones come in. It doesn't look like the package was tampered with and was sealed when I bought it.

Just a note on wrong die/tap/drill sizes. I purchased from SnapOn a tap and die set, and it was found that the 6-32 die was actually an 8-32 and the die was clearly marked incorrectly - and yes it destroy a part that was being made. As stated above, check all your tools that are purchased regardless where they are made.

I usually have the bolt I'm putting in the hole on hand when I'm picking out my tap. I do a quick check by putting the bolt threads into the tap threads and seeing if it matches. I've got way too many taps in that cabinet of random things, I could easily pick the wrong one out of there. It saved me from a tap that I had spun in a drill chuck rubbing the markings off. Metric to english issue.

I wonder if I should contact Irwin about it. Maybe there is a lot number on it and they can track down the exact person who did it. Like the old story about the line worker at GM who welded a pop bottle into a car panel, tracked him down and let him go.

That's quite funny though :)

Stuart

Once got home from auto parts store with new brake pads, opened box and they were worn out.:faint:

Back