Wtb 5c collets

I checked eBay a while back For Harding’s collets. The used ones I found looked well used for the price.
I ended up buying a Shars set to enhance the Harding’s 5C collets I already acquired.
I’m happy with the Shars so far!

I keep reading about hardinge superiority due to some pre sprung enhancement. do you find the shars collets scratch the part being held when being removing?

I keep reading about hardinge superiority due to some pre sprung enhancement. do you find the shars collets scratch the part being held when being removing?
That shouldn't occur if you are using the correct size collets. A collet has a very small holding range.

I checked eBay a while back For Harding’s collets. The used ones I found looked well used for the price.
I ended up buying a Shars set to enhance the Harding’s 5C collets I already acquired.
I’m happy with the Shars so far!

I've had reasonably good luck with the Asian collets accuracy so far for my needs. The issue I've found with many of them is that the threads on the OD are undersized. Hardinge spec was already undersized at 1.238" for 1.25" ID threads on the drawbar. Some of the Asian collets I have seem to be more severely undersized as low as 1.225". So you have to be careful when you use these not to tighten them down too much, or risk damaging the internal threads of the drawbar.

I would like to make a separate drawbar for the Asian collets with smaller OD threads to suit. On the todo list for someday.

Edit: Changed typo: Meant to say OD threads on collet are undersized.

Best Regards,
Bob

Last edited:
I have both Taiwanese 5C set (Enco which I believe were Vertex brand) and a few from Shar's. Also have used the generic Chinese sets sold by many on-line vendors. Accuracy wise they all seem to be close, since I use a Set-True type 5C chuck one could always tweak it a bit. Overall they all seem to hold a tolerance of around 0.0004". I have had no issues tightening or having them release. The Hardinge spec. for their standard 5C collets is 0.001" which is worse vs. what other spec., they do sell a high accuracy 5C collet which has a 0.0002" accuracy at $106 a pop. So a full set is going to be a chunk of change. Most of the used collets are pretty beat up and a hodge-podge of sizes. The PBA are very good, but run $20/collet. Vertex are also very good but if you check the specs. most will have a 0.0006" run out spec. limit. A set-true type 5C chuck will run anywhere from $250-$800+, would rather spend the money on a better chuck and be able to dial in a collet if needed. I have the Bison 5C, repeats nicely and do not have any wonky collets . My Taiwanese 5C collets are a bit nicer than the Shar's, the sizes are also engraved on the head as opposed to just surface printed.

Back