Wtk What Is The Best Mill I Can Get For $2,500

What about the G0801? Never seem to hear anyone mention this one. If you needed more capacity you could put a riser block on it.

By the way I was gonna go this route until I found a BP clone for a reasonable price. It needs more repair than I was hoping, and the parts I need aren't available. So if you do get a knee mill other than a Bridgeport, check on parts availability first.

Last edited:
If you are going to look at Bridgeport type machines, be sure to check out Wells Index or Index machines. I think that they are better machines than the typical Bridgeport and much better than clones (can you tell that I have an opinion :) ). Wells Index is still in business and supports their machines. Best thing is that because it isn't a Bridgeport they usually go for much less money than a similar Bridgeport. Similar to a Logan selling for less than a South Bend.

Kent (Taiwan) is a very fine BP clone. I had a beater BP, sold it and replaced it wit the Kent.

If you are going to look at Bridgeport type machines, be sure to check out Wells Index or Index machines. I think that they are better machines than the typical Bridgeport and much better than clones (can you tell that I have an opinion :) ). Wells Index is still in business and supports their machines. Best thing is that because it isn't a Bridgeport they usually go for much less money than a similar Bridgeport. Similar to a Logan selling for less than a South Bend.

I know the op is looking for something smaller, but I 100% agree on the Wells Index mills. I have a mini mill and got ready for a real mill. Bridgeports in terrible condition often bring $4-5k around here. I bought a Wells Index 747 with dro and a Kurt D80 vise for $3k. It is one heck of a mill.

Don't forget to include tooling in your budget. Tooling for a mill can easily cost as much as the mill. The mill is pretty much useless without the tooling. A medium sized used mill like a Burke Millrite that might come with some tooling, can come in well under your budget, and handle heavier work than a bench mill. It is not a Bridgeport or an Index, but it is a capable and rigid quality USA made machine. There are other similar size mills, I just happen to own a Millrite, my second one, and I am not looking for anything larger.

+1 on what Bob said. Machine tools aren't much without appropriate cutting tools.

Besides the cutting tools, off the top of my head I can quickly add the vise, rotary table, angle blocks, hold down set, something to tram the head, edge finder, center finder, indicators and holders, boring head(s), dividing head and plates, tail stock, drill chuck(s), collet set, end mill holders, spin indexer, and no doubt a lot more. No, you don't need all that stuff just to make chips, but as soon as you want to do more than mill the side or top of something in a straight line, this stuff will need to be accumulated. If you can get most of it as a package with a used mill, and an assortment of cutting tools as well, you will save lots of money, time, freight charges, and the frustration of not having what you need to do a job, leading to holding up the work and buying something quick at full retail price and full freight charge. Start putting the dollars to all that and the mill will start sounding cheap in comparison.

well if it does not have a knee it is not a mill just a heavy duty drill press. for that money you could look at a clausing 8520 or a Rockwell 21-100. a friend of mine just got a Rockwell for $1000. now that would leave you with $1500 to buy tooling.

Back