X-axis power feed recommendations

ARC-170

Jeff L.
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Looks like the Vevor X-axis power feed on my RF-31 has died. What do you all recommend for a replacement? Vevor has them, but once bitten, twice shy, and it's out of warranty. Theirs only lasted 2 years of light use.

How much torque do I need? Are they all made in China? Grizzly has one for $500, which is a bit steep. I paid $145 shipped for mine. I don't mind going higher if it gets me something that will last in a hobby environment.

There's this one on Ebay for $259 + $20. I like the orientation so it doesn't hang down. This matches what I currently have:
x-axis power feed 1.jpg

I've been looking into making my own with a car wiper motor. I do have a machine shop afterall....

John

I've been looking into making my own with a car wiper motor. I do have a machine shop afterall....

John
Yeah, me too...

What would it take? I'm not strong with electronics, but I could maybe figure it out. Are there plans for this? Do you have a good idea of how this could be done?

Servo are not cheap, but supported.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Yeah, me too...

What would it take? I'm not strong with electronics, but I could maybe figure it out. Are there plans for this? Do you have a good idea of how this could be done?
I built a CNC mill drill from bits and pieces so in theory the x axis feed should be simple. Stepper motors are cheaper than servos and can be run wit’s a simple pwm circuit.

probably want a big NEMA 23 motor or better.

However this looks tempting for $15

probably find all kinds of videos on the tube and there are a few threads here too.

John

I have a Align 500P on my knee mill 780 inch pounds of torque. 8 years and still going strong.

I ordered the $15 surplus car seat motor. Will start a new thread when I get working on it.

What does it mean, to die? Have you opened it up and checked all the connections, wires, and components? The feed switch is a moving part with wires attached, and I question the Chinese manufacturing machine's ability to forsee and mitigate problems with such a mechanism. They copied Align or Servo, shaved down costs at every avenue, and produced a comparable drive for hobby shops for a tenth or a fifth of the price. I doubt they copied the robustness of the original mechanism. I'd open that puppy up and find the problem unless you're really sick of the Chinese Vevor and want to put your money into a Chinese Grizzly instead, expecting better results.

What does it mean, to die? Have you opened it up and checked all the connections, wires, and components? The feed switch is a moving part with wires attached, and I question the Chinese manufacturing machine's ability to forsee and mitigate problems with such a mechanism. They copied Align or Servo, shaved down costs at every avenue, and produced a comparable drive for hobby shops for a tenth or a fifth of the price. I doubt they copied the robustness of the original mechanism. I'd open that puppy up and find the problem unless you're really sick of the Chinese Vevor and want to put your money into a Chinese Grizzly instead, expecting better results.
I opened it up and checked. I have another thread going about that.

Would the Grizzly actually be better? At this point, if I can't fix it, I was going to consider buy the Precision Matthews x-axis feed. The Grizzly one is $500, the PM is $300. I knew I was taking a chance with a $150 X-axis power feed, but I thought it would last longer than this.

Back