X-axis power feed recommendations

So I have been working on this project a bit and have made some progress:

- I turned up an adapter where the hand wheel on the right side connects. This both retains the thrust bearings on that end (wits the tapered pin securing it to the shaft) and has a pulley attached to it.
- The pulley had a small bore but I increased it’s diameter to be a close fit to the adapter turned above. It is secured with the set screws that came with it.
- I made some brackets to attach the stepper in position with adjustment slots. I can give more details on those as I get further along as I may change them to reorient the motor as it sticks out quite a bit now.
- I had a devil of a time getting arduino code to work - it seems most people are trying to run steppers to positions and not just turn them on and off. I am still working on that but just to check if the motor will drive the table I got a cheap pulse generator akin to the type that “myfordboy” used on his version and it does, indeed, move the table. The controls on that are pretty terrible so while I am working on the Arduino code I am going to add a relay on that device so the enable pin can be activated automatically.

Sorry for the mess of wires - this was in testing mode only. I think having an 8” rotary table and a 4” vise on there is about as heavy as it will get on that mill so this is a pretty decent stress test.

Last edited:
I am finishing this project up and started a new thread about it. I finally got the Arduino code working correctly so I bailed on that wacky little pulse generator.

Back