X-Y-Z Confusion

lol, I came out of a CNC Boring mill shop.
W axis is the saddle the table runs on, the table being X
The headstock rides vertically and the quill is the Z axis.

Then there was the Wasino 7 axis lathe with live tooling.
The only lathe I have ever seen with a Y axis.

Like when your wife tells you the helicopter light came on in the car. If your a car guy, your first thought Is "huh!?" but there are likely plenty of husband's out there who'd totally understand the reference. And if you both know what she's talking about, does it really matter which word she picks to describe it.

The helicopter light:

The text from my wife said the "yellow submarine" light was on....
View attachment 365001

-brino

Haha, never heard it called the helicopter light before, that's a good one!

Reminds of the guy pooping indicator. :D

attachment-5.jpg

Yeah, Ken, that "helicopter" light is a standard unique to itself. But ... the reset procedures are anything but standard. I guess it's important to have a proprietary helicopter light reset system. Go figure.
As for the X-Y labels. I'll just stick with carriage X and cross feed Y so I don't crash the machine. Now all I have to do is remember the directions for the feed levers. :faint:

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

PS - regarding the "helicopter" light ... it looks more like an autogyro to me.

Here's what I was taught and what I taught my Engineering students:

Use the "Right Hand Rule": put your thumb and forefinger on your right hand out like you are making a gun. They will be at right angles to each other in the same plane as your palm. Stick your middle finger out at right angles to your palm ("normal" to your palm, if you prefer that term; it's the same). Your thumb is the X-axis, your pointer finger is the Y-axis and your middle finger is the Z-axis, all pointing in the positive direction. The Z axis is the axis of rotation on any machine.
So a lathe technically doesn't have an X-axis, just Y and Z.
We tend to refer to the left and right direction as the X-axis, and forward and back as the Y and up and down as the Z. Using the RHR gives us a common language and reference for any machine.

Here's what I was taught and what I taught my Engineering students:

Use the "Right Hand Rule": put your thumb and forefinger on your right hand out like you are making a gun. They will be at right angles to each other in the same plane as your palm. Stick your middle finger out at right angles to your palm ("normal" to your palm, if you prefer that term; it's the same). Your thumb is the X-axis, your pointer finger is the Y-axis and your middle finger is the Z-axis, all pointing in the positive direction. The Z axis is the axis of rotation on any machine.
So a lathe technically doesn't have an X-axis, just Y and Z.
We tend to refer to the left and right direction as the X-axis, and forward and back as the Y and up and down as the Z. Using the RHR gives us a common language and reference for any machine.

I bet it won't surprise you at all to hear, that's exactly what I was taught. When I was an engineering student. :).

Back