XP support ends

G

Grumpy Gator

Forum Guest
Register Today
Anyone else besides me still using XP ¿? Like everything else in life it ain't perfect but it works.
I'm sure with over 3 million users out there someone will pick up and run with that ball and start offering support.
Reminds me of that Mars rover or the energizer bunny it just keeps going and going.
*****Just Saying**************G*****************:eek:uch:

Anyone else besides me still using XP ¿? Like everything else in life it ain't perfect but it works.
I'm sure with over 3 million users out there someone will pick up and run with that ball and start offering support.
Reminds me of that Mars rover or the energizer bunny it just keeps going and going.

Yes, I'm runnigh XP on both of my computers at the shop. Just updated my drivers yesterday while I still could.

Probably won't happen, patches require access to the source code and that isn't something Microsoft will give up. The best option for folks who either must or choose to continue using XP is to have a good anti virus product or two and keep them updated. It's a fair bet the bad guys have been holding exploits for XP until support ended and they will likely be releasing them into the wild. Given the sheer number of banks and ATM's running XP, I will not be surprised if the feds basically force MS to keep supporting it but that is just a guess. I managed to replace the last XP machine at my company this week, so hopefully we won't be too impacted but I'm sure a lot of our customers still have them.

Machines running XP should be pretty safe, as long as they aren't connected to the internet. By the way - never try to run more than one antivirus on a machine at the same time - almost all antivrus programs warn against this and I have seen some nasty crashes when someone tried to run two at once for " added protection". Some combinations may get along with each other fine, but many don't.

We have lots of equipment that still use XP. The vendors are still working on Win7 porting, never mind Win8! Win9 is due in a couple years. Since these machines are not on the net, likely we will only see an update on the purchase of a new machine. Only the front office has new stuff, kind required as old computers are regularly replaced every 3 - 5 years.

Per Microsoft's website, antimalware will still be available for a limited period of time. What that time period is, is subject to debate. End of 2014? Into 2015?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/end-support-help

Pierre

Back