[4]

You know your a tool junkie when................

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

alloy

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
You know you a tool junkie when...........

You score and put them on here and someone from the UK says you officially suck

You only go to garage sales that say tools in the CL listing

You can' wait to get home to put your scores on here

Your girlfriend says........Now what did you buy? How much did you pay for that? Do you really need that?

You have 4 bottom tool chests and 3 top ones, and you want another top one because the 4th one looks naked with no top box on it

You stay up late bead blasting and painting your new (old) vise and post pics of it on here

You work for 2 months scraping grease, cleaning, sanding, and painting a $1300 Bridgeport and when your done with it the spot on the floor where it was looks empty and your looking for a new project to put there

You by a portable band saw for $20 and find it needs $30 worth of repair parts and still think you scored

I'm sure I'll come up with more as time goes along :)

A

Andre

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
You have duplicates of tools, to keep the originals in pristine condition.

PatMiles

Active User
Registered
You're in the shop working with said tools at 3:00 am, in your pajamas, on a project you woke up thinking about.
Don't laugh... I've done it.

Pat

alloy

You're in the shop working with said tools at 3:00 am, in your pajamas, on a project you woke up thinking about.

Pat
I just read this to my GF. She said it sounds like something I'd do. She says my "wheels" are always turning :)

zmotorsports

Pat
Yep, been there done that. Something finally "clicked" and woke me up. Then out to the shop to complete.

You also know you are a tool junkie when the wife sees the VISA charges and says "your cut off".:nono:

alloy

You also know you are a tool junkie when the wife sees the VISA charges and says "your cut off".:nono:
That's why I have my own PayPal account funded by my Ebay sales :rubbinghands:

GarageGuy

Active User
Registered
You don't know why you want a particular tool, or even when you will use it, but you still want it anyway! Yeah... I got it bad.

GG

middle.road

Actively Learning...
--- You raise the lower portion of the back seat of your truck and there is part of your haul from an estate sale,,,
(3) weeks ago, and you forgot about it...

--- Spending hours restoring an old tool gives you great satisfaction.

--- At estate/garage sales, you go through the same boxes a half a dozen times each to be sure you didn't miss anything.

--- You drift off at night thinking about how to squeeze another cubic foot of space out of your shop...

--- You hear about an auction on HM that you missed that was held 20 mins from your home, and you mope around for days...

--- You see a listing in the CL section that is 600 miles away and you try to figure out some way, any way to get to it or procure it.

--- You have a handful of certain favorite tools that you've had since forever and when you misplace one you will spend hours looking for it.

--- You turn comatose when you here from someone at work that they dumped off all of Granddad's shop stuff at the local thrift store.

and if you're lucky,
--- Your S.O. txt's you picts from a sale and scores you an unusual piece that you _don't_ have in your collection.

Tool-in-the-Box

Active User
Registered
You collect tooling for a machine you don't even own yet.

chips&more

Active User
Registered
When you have 10 lifetimes of tools, projects and your garage has more square footage than your house and filled up to the top of the rafters with crap….and you only have 1 lifetime to do something about it.

middle.road

Actively Learning...
You collect tooling for a machine you don't even own yet.
So that's whats in all those milk crates...

When you have 10 lifetimes of tools, projects and your garage has more square footage than your house and filled up to the top of the rafters with crap….and you only have 1 lifetime to do something about it.
Wait - your shop has more space than the house? - you lucky dog!

alloy

When you look at every single ad this morning on CL that lists tools and can't even find one worth going to.

So now I have to work on my "honey do" list. :-(

Don B

Active User
Registered
When you see a tool in an Add/Flea Market/Yard Sale wherever, and your immediately convinced you can't live without it, but when you woke up that morning you didn't even know you needed one of those:))

Mark in Indiana

Active User
Registered
1. You give each piece of equipment a name.

2. When you sell a tool, your first concern is if it will go to a good home.

3. You feel like you truely saved the world when you buy a piece of equipment that would have gone to the scrap yard.

4. You spend hours on the internet researching for information about the tool that you just bought...like geneology.

5. You begin to truly believe that: "No tool is truely happy unless it is used and loved by a craftsman."

6. You scratch your head in dis-belief when you meet someone that doesn't have a milling machine in his garage.

All Joking aside, these 3 I'm guilty of:

1. Saturday morning yard sales...If I don't see any signs of tools, it becomes a drive by. So time isn't wasted on getting to a good sale.

2. At least twice a day, check CL.

3. At least once a day, check the Hobby-Machinist and other tool forums.

Happy trails!

zmotorsports

1. You give each piece of equipment a name.

2. When you sell a tool, your first concern is if it will go to a good home.

3. You feel like you truely saved the world when you buy a piece of equipment that would have gone to the scrap yard.

4. You spend hours on the internet researching for information about the tool that you just bought...like geneology.

5. You begin to truly believe that: "No tool is truely happy unless it is used and loved by a craftsman."

6. You scratch your head in dis-belief when you meet someone that doesn't have a milling machine in his garage.

1. Saturday morning yard sales...If I don't see any signs of tools, it becomes a drive by. So time isn't wasted on getting to a good sale.

2. At least twice a day, check CL.

3. At least once a day, check the Hobby-Machinist and other tool forums.

Happy trails!

Those were AWESOME!!! I had to read them to my wife and she wondered if I wrote them.:roflmao:

timvercoe

Registered
Registered
I wanted to reply with quotes to everything written here, but decided a general reply was enough. So have you guys been following me around? Recording my activities? Only to post them here? I have a definition to add to the comments: Do you know the definition of a mechanic? A mechanic is a tool junkie, a means of supporting and justifying his addiction. A machine shop is the ultimate tool junkie fantasy, there is always a better tool.

Tim

Don B

Active User
Registered

LOL, I'm so guilty of this one, if I notice a yard sale before my wife and it looks like there's only clothing and ornaments I do my best to distract her in the hopes she won't see it, and if I do have to stop I just sit in the truck sending her telepathic messages to hurry up thinking I'm missing a deal up the road:))

Hawkeye

Active User
Want the ultimate test? There are way too many guys on here that know exactly what I'm saying, and I hope no one else ever understands. BTW, no tears on this keyboard. Here goes ...

You think about a tool in the shop in your burned-out house and wonder, "Can they clean that, or will they scrap it?" e.g. Starrett sliding square that came from the neighbour's garage sale. The lineman's pliers that your first boss in the trade gave you. And especially, the Mitutoyo micrometers. :veryscared:

Yup. I'm a tool junkie.

The Lord gives and the Lord takes away. Blessed be the name of the Lord. (Job 1:21)

rebush

Active User
Registered
You buy a piece of equipment to upgrade what you already have. You justify your purchase by thinking what you could sell the old equipment for. When someone comes to the shop and sees you have two and ask if you want to sell one. You answer " Hell no. Why would I want to do that? "

Mark in Indiana

Active User
Registered
You talk to your tools.......they talk back to you......your wife walks into your garage and interrupts your intellectual conversation with...your tools.

Bishop

Active User
Registered
I was using my shaper just last night and she spoke to me. She said the even though I was buying a newer, bigger, stronger shaper in better shape, she would promise to never complain and would take whatever menial task I gave her and due the job as quick and pretty as she could with never a complaint. She only asked that I don't sell her to someone who will never oil her, feed her sticky grease instead and would turn there back instead of standing mesmerized by the beauty of the work she was doing!

What could I possibly say to that, I had to tell her there was more than enough room for two shapers in the shop and she could stay :)) I'm a sucker for tool talk.

Shawn

Mark in Indiana

Active User
Registered
Normal people keep pictures of family and friends stored on their smart phones. Tool junkies keep pictures of their tools and projects stored on their smart phones.

zmotorsports

My wife borrowed a screwdriver on Saturday and when she returned it and put it in the drawer, I asked if she put it back in correctly. She said she put it where she found it.

I walked to the drawer and noticed that it was indeed in the correct drawer but it was not in the exact spot it goes and it was not facing the correct direction.

When she questioned my behavior, I told her I knew that something wasn't right because there was a disturbance in the force, I could feel the tools weren't "happy".

I don't think she saw the humor that I did.

Don B

Active User
Registered
My wife borrowed a screwdriver on Saturday.
Those are the most horrifying words my wife can utter "where is the screwdriver/hammer/wrench" besides the fact I'll never see that tool again until I happen on it when I'm looking for something else, I just know I'm going to be fixing something.

zmotorsports

Those are the most horrifying words my wife can utter "where is the screwdriver/hammer/wrench" besides the fact I'll never see that tool again until I happen on it when I'm looking for something else, I just know I'm going to be fixing something.
Yep, it shot a tingle down my spine when she asked but in all honesty it was easier to just point to the toolbox and let her get it herself. Although afterwards giving her crap about not putting it back in the right place and not facing the correct direction, I think she will think twice before asking next time.

I did make the mistake of asking her if I go into the kitchen and rearrange all of her things.:veryscared: Hind sight, that probably wasn't the best thing to say.

John Hasler

Active User
My wife has her own tools that I am not allowed to touch. I wouldn't use them anyway because I'd never be able to find anything in what looks to me like a random mound of stuff. However, she can always put her hand on what she needs on the first try and always somehow puts it back right where it was.

mzayd3

Active User
Registered
my wife also has a set of her own tools. they are so cheap that I refuse to use them.

Don B

Active User
Registered
My wife has her own tools that I am not allowed to touch.
I tried that for a few years when we where first married, that didn't go well, about 30 years ago that tool box mysteriously disappeared in one of our moves, I've always been a prime suspect but there was to many people involved in the move to come up with anything more than circumstantial evidence.
But in my defense have you ever tried to remove 4 screws that have no discernible/recognizable heads left on them, not to to mention the 12 holes that need repairing, that dam tool box was costing me to much work and time, I really had no choice.

John Hasler

Active User
I daren't try that: half my tools came from Robin's father. Besides, she's quite able to use them. She did all the maintenence in a small apartment building for years.

She won't use power tools any more though.

hman

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Here in the Phoenix area, yard and garage sales tend to start early on Friday morning. And between the early-bird scavengers and the heat of the day, if you're not there by 11AM, you're totally SOL. Makes it kinda hard for a lazy/night-owl/late-rising retiree like me :cussing:

[6]
[5] [7]