Your Tool Vendor of Choice?

brt,
I get my material from Metal Super Market (http://www.metalsupermarkets.com/) no min. order and cut to size for free while you wait and is local for me. Maybe there is one near you. Prices seem ok, you pay by the piece you want, not the stock length and no shipping charge for me at least. It sure beats paying for a stock length when you only need 6" for a project. It works for me that way at least.
Paul

Hi,

So anyone live near this lot CDCO.

:drink:
DaveH

CDCO had / has a booth at 7 Mile Fair, a permanent flea market near Milwaukee WI USA. It's been a while since I've been there, but I try to stop at his booth when I get to Milwaukee to visit friends. Yeah, most of his stuff is NO-GO for me, but I have got some pretty good tools from him, after I got to see them first hand. Couple things turned to Sh## after I got them home too. Axial support for indicator is one and a test indicator for another.:angry:

Enco does a lot better for me.

Ed Hoc

I've purchased things from MSC, ENCO, Walter Hammond, Ebay, a few of the online places and Fastenal. Usually if I need something the next day I will buy from MSC as they will get it to me without higher shipping costs.

Same list as most but one that I don't think has been mentioned is McMaster-Carr http://www.mcmaster.com Their prices aren't always the best but they do have a huge selection and so far I've had great service from them.

-Ron

I have a Fastenal local to me and a Grainger about 20 minutes away. But, for most things I use Enco. Once in a while I will order from McMaster Carr for something I cannot find anywhere else.
Neal

Interesting interaction with Wholesale Tool.

I am in the market for a mill. On page 246 of their catalog [http://www.wttool.com/index/page/static/subpage/catalog_viewer_machinery] I found a ZX7550WA that I am very interested in. The price in the catalog is $3,195, regular $2,995. Certainly a new concept in discount pricing. More likely a typeo.

I engaged in an on-line chat just to make sure.

10:18:28 AM [Arvid] I am looking at item 3004-0140 on page 246 of the 2011 - 2012 Machinery catalog. The price is regular $2,995 but it is listed as $3,195. How do I go about ordering one at the $2,995 regular price? And do you have an estimate of shipping to Prior Lake, MN, 55372?

10:18:38 AM [xxx] let me take a look

10:19:55 AM [xxx] okay, the price in the catalog can be subject to change. The cost from our supplier went up, and the new price is $3,495.00. Sorry!

10:20:09 AM [Arvid] So am I. Thanks for looking
10:20:23 AM [xxx] as far as the shipping is concerned, I can get you a quote if you still want

10:20:41 AM [Arvid] Yes, please do.

On Friday I got an email from Wholesale Tool declaring a “Holiday Savings – 10% off everything”. Well this makes things a little more palatable as $3,145 is about what I was willing to pay in the first place. So I went to the site this morning, found the item on line and the price is now $3,995. With the 10% discount the price is $3,595.50.

Note that I am not suggesting anything underhanded here. I just found the numbers and timing to be interesting. And no, I did not purchase the mill. Just a little to interesting for my blood.

I'm still new to this, but I've had to start from scratch and I've been buying a lot of tooling recently. Sadly, I'm buying mostly the cheap Chinese stuff because that's what I can afford. I figure I will eventually figure out where I need to spend more money to get something better, but for now, I just do what I can. So, with that background...

I made a big shopping list on a spreadsheet and started hitting the websites to compare prices from Grizzly, Enco, Harbor Freight, Norther Tool, CDCO, Little Machine Shop, and recently added Shar.

Harbor Freight and Northern Tool just didn't have enough of what I wanted to be worth messing with. Prices that they did have were so-so. Off the list.

Enco's prices seem too high compared to the others and they are in California so they charge sales tax. I bought a few things from them, they ship quick and were easy to deal with. I find their website a pain to use, but if I know what I want I'm OK.

Little Machine Shop has some nice specialty products, but my lathe and mill are just a little big compared to their specialty. I have ordered a few things from them and they shipped fast. Also in CA, so taxes.

Shar has good prices but when I put together an order, the shipping was jaw-dropping. It much cheaper to pay more at Grizzly and get lower shipping. I emailed them and asked if there might be a problem with their shipping calculator. They responded that they charge based on weight and it is what it is (they were very nice about it though).

CDCO Tools has the best prices I've found for cheap Chinese stuff. Their shipping is reasonable and reasonably fast. When I got my quick change too post it did not have a handle. Two emails went unanswered. I called and Frank was "on his way to the warehouse" but said he would take care of it. Nothing heard, a few days later I called again and reminded him. That time he got it shipped out. I recently placed another order and it came quickly and everything was fine (for cheap stuff). I am currently considering getting their DRO, but I'm looking for user reviews.

I bought my lathe and mill from Grizzly and I've been happy with their prices and service. I had to wait over 8 months for the mill, but I believe they were resolving a design problem before they started shipping again, so I guess I'm OK with that. During the process, I would email them about every two weeks for an update and they were very prompt with their reply. They have a lot of products that CDCO does not carry and currently they have a 10% off metalworking accessories (NOT machines) coupon which closes the price gap. In addition, their shipping is based on value of your order, but tops out at about $20. So, if I buy everything at once, I get a very good shipping deal. Products have been OK, but cheap is cheap is cheap, so my expectations are not high and it's the same stuff with different color paint at the other places.

That's my take, for what it's worth.

--Mike

I do almost all my buying of new stuff that will get a good deal of use at ENCO. Prices are good- especially with the discounts (which we have listed the codes for on here for over a year now),
and they ship pretty fast. I have not been disappointed yet.

For stuff I don't anticipate using that much (and I have been wrong), I buy from Harbor Freight. Everyone jokes about them, but we all buy from them, and much of their stuff is surprisingly good, especially for the price.

For stuff that I cannot get elsewhere, and need to pay more, I go to McMaster-Carr. They have everything, and they ship very fast.

Used stuff, I buy on Ebay. You can get some really good deals on there IF you use your eyes and don't get caught up in bidding wars.
Tools either sell for too much or too little on Ebay. I have paid too much now and then, and gotten some great deals too.
Look for miscategorized or mislabeled stuff for the best buys.

Nelson

Bought stuff from Jeff at Tools4cheap. Great deals and good quality and not to mention the excellent support. I exchanged half a dozen emails with him about my spindle issue. Immediate responses at 6 am. I will certainly use him again.
I also do a good bit of business with McMaster.

Back