Z axis power lift for G0704. DRO suggestions.

vincent52100

Registered
Registered
Well, I found that it’s very hard to crank up the z axis on my G0704. I have difficulty reaching up and raising the Z axis by hand (shoulder pain). It takes both hands and is a real pain. I think I need to install a power feed. I have a geared angle drive motor. Both the shaft on the motor and the hand wheel shaft are the same diameter (10mm). 6 revolutions of the crank moves the head one inch. I plan on using either a direct connection or chain and sprocket method. I would think the gear and chain method would allow ratio selection. The motor is a nominal 50 rpm. I thought the gear drive might be easier to install since the motor is not hanging of the end of the shaft. What would you think? Also I thought about an air shock to help with raising the head. Would this be a good idea?
Also I think I need a dro. I know that a full fledged dro would be ideal but is out of my price range. Is the igaging dro acceptable? I don’t have a lot of matching experience and don’t really plan complicated projects.

I appreciate any input.
Thanks
Ken

Can't help you on the power feed but I did buy a DRO off Ebay for my mill for $150. So far it's working great but it's only been on for 2 or 3 weeks. I found some scales close to my size (9x32 Bridgeport) and had to cut one scale to size. After using the DRO, it was well worth the money.

Any ideas about a good max lift speed on the z axis. I figured a direct drive would be 8” per minute te. That seems a little slow for a max speed. Thanks

This what I have. It's controlled with a PWM with variable speed. The timing belt and pulleys came from Amazon

Attachments

• IMG_0001[1].JPG
    IMG_0001[1].JPG
    948.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0002[1].JPG
    IMG_0002[1].JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 25
Reactions: jcp
Back