2013 POTD Thread Archive

Mounted up my power feed controller today, and it worked like a charm.

DSCF6875.JPG

DSCF6876.JPG

After temporarily routing the cables I made an adjustable stop (3/8" drill rod and two movable stops) and a bracket for the auto limit switches. Ran the unit for a while and it works great :) Cant wait for the PWM to get here so I can finish it off. Now just need to mount a motor for the Z axis and add a clutch mechanism (probably gear to gear)

DSCF6877.JPG
DSCF6878.JPG

DSCF6878.JPG DSCF6875.JPG DSCF6876.JPG DSCF6877.JPG

Nothing to really show but I was really pleased to do a real project. I switched the handlebars on my bicycle and the bar end shifters that fit in the drop bars I had on the bike don't fit the new butterfly bars I put on the bike.
NS-TRK-NCL-FRONT.jpg

I didn't take pictures but here are some that show what the pieces look like. The expansion blocks have a taper on the ends that expand when the screw is tightened:

ld801.jpg

So I got out some aluminum rod and turned a pair of new expansion blocks that fit the new bars. Then I cut the screw down to fit and put it together to use as a mandrel to turn down the shifter bodies where they fit into the bars. Finally cut the expansion blocks apart on the bandsaw and mounted them up. Then I realized that the levers interfered with the stem. Took them apart and cut a quarter inch of both ends of the bars and put it all together. Doesn't sound like that much of a project but the commercial adapters (Paul Thumbies) cost about $65 and I don't like having all that extra hardware sticking up in the way.

I like them mounted like they were originally intended:

barendshifter301.jpg

Being able to do things like this is the real reason I got into metalworking.

ld801.jpg barendshifter301.jpg NS-TRK-NCL-FRONT.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Removable cross slide DRO for Maximat V10

I bought one of those import vertical 6" digital scales with the intention of mounting it
on my mill quill, but it didn't conveniently fit. So instead I mounted
it on my V10P cross-slide. It goes on and off quickly with two screws. One is an
8mm set screw that locks the moving arm into a T-slot, while the rail locks down via the
thread-dial mounting bolt.
IMG_2712.JPGIMG_2713.JPGIMG_2714.JPGIMG_2715.JPG

IMG_2712.JPG IMG_2713.JPG IMG_2714.JPG IMG_2715.JPG

nice job. necessity, the mother of invention. . . .

A buddy has a Winchester 190 semi automatic .22 rifle that keeps breaking the plastic knob on the charging handle. The only replacement handles are 40 plus years old and they have brittle plastic that breaks after only a few shots. I made him an all steel handle on my lathe. It is pretty tiny so it was an unusual challenge working with something that small. Fun stuff!

P5271055_zps8e676a9e.jpg

final_zpsdcca54c1.jpg

Nice job and I bet your friend will like it, Never having to replace it again.

Paul

A buddy has a Winchester 190 semi automatic .22 rifle that keeps breaking the plastic knob on the charging handle. The only replacement handles are 40 plus years old and they have brittle plastic that breaks after only a few shots. I made him an all steel handle on my lathe. It is pretty tiny so it was an unusual challenge working with something that small. Fun stuff!

P5271055_zps8e676a9e.jpg

final_zpsdcca54c1.jpg

I got the X-axis DRO scale mounted on my Grizzly mini mill tonight. I need to tweak it a little, mainly by cutting off a couple extraneous inches.

x-axis-dro.jpg

Today while making a tool holder for the lathe (wanted to try out the mill auto feed) I also got to play with some aluminum, making a couple of foot and shift pegs for a friend

DSCF6879.JPG

DSCF6880.JPG

DSCF6879.JPG DSCF6880.JPG

Back