2013 POTD Thread Archive

Remounted my mill's X-axis DRO scale after I cut it to length using a cutoff wheel in my angle grinder:

x-axis-cut.jpg

I also got the Y-axis scale mounted:

y-axis-scale.jpg

I should get the Z-axis scale mounted tomorrow.

Last edited:
Little Machine Shop CNC Conversion, Just about ready to wrap up the electronics

20130608_055515.jpg 20130608_055434.jpg 20130604_183002.jpg 20130604_183326.jpg

Finished my DRO installation with the Z-axis scale and display unit.

z-axis-dro.jpg

dro-display.jpg

This in no way compares to the Projects shown here.
However, as real-time novices and with the tremendous assistances so freely accorded here, we would be failing if we did not contribute in some small measure to the activities on this pleasant Forum.
These are some 20mm Cartridges made for the kids.
Thanks for looking
aRM018.JPG

018.JPG

There sure are a lot of very cool projects showing up in this thread. Here's mine from yesterday. I wanted a quick take-down screw for my old Cooey model 64 so it can be taken down without tools and fit in a 35" hard case that I take on my dual-sport motorcycle when I go camping. The thread is 1/4" 28tpi.

John

P6080016_zpsb2f24b3a.jpg

P6080005_zps6a2c5afe.jpg

P6080011_zpsc0324fe2.jpg

P6080007_zpsd0988dc7.jpg

Reactions: ARM
This in no way compares to the Projects shown here.
However, as real-time novices and with the tremendous assistances so freely accorded here, we would be failing if we did not contribute in some small measure to the activities on this pleasant Forum.
These are some 20mm Cartridges made for the kids.
Thanks for looking
aRMView attachment 54978
Very cool 20 mm rounds.

I reload 20 gauge shotgun slugs and wanted to go with hardcast fullbore slugs. The first two pics are a base and sizing die for sizing the cast slugs to .627". The second two pics show a 20 gauge depriming die.

DSC_0412.JPG DSC_0414.JPG DSC_0415.JPG DSC_0416.JPG

I finally did something for just me. the neighbor had a bunch of walnut that he sawed up into planks and boards, and I just shamelessly needed to have one for something or other. well, this is the "other" for me. sawed to length, ran it thru the planer and drilled a few holes in it, made some brackets that slip between the mill and the stand and installed it. the poly varnish finished it off quite nicely. not fancy just function.

collet holder1.jpgcolletholder2.jpg

collet holder1.jpg colletholder2.jpg

Well, today I decided to try to cut a large 1" steel plate so I can strengthen my milling machine back and table (trying to reduce vibration to as close to 0 as I can). Decided to prop the plate up on buckets and use a grinder to cut it (ran out of o2 for the torch and its too think for the plasma cutter). Got one end on a bucket and as I lifted the other end it dropped and smashed the two middle fingers on my left hand (really something I dont ever want to repeat). Normally this sort of thing only hurts for a while, but I guess the fact the plate is 160 lbs its going to hurt for a long time :( Did manage to grind about 1/2 way through before giving up for the day and soaking my fingers in cold water. With any luck I didnt smash the bones, but so far I can still move them pretty well. Willl see what they are like tomorrow.

Well, today I decided to try to cut a large 1" steel plate so I can strengthen my milling machine back and table (trying to reduce vibration to as close to 0 as I can). Decided to prop the plate up on buckets and use a grinder to cut it (ran out of o2 for the torch and its too think for the plasma cutter). Got one end on a bucket and as I lifted the other end it dropped and smashed the two middle fingers on my left hand (really something I dont ever want to repeat). Normally this sort of thing only hurts for a while, but I guess the fact the plate is 160 lbs its going to hurt for a long time :( Did manage to grind about 1/2 way through before giving up for the day and soaking my fingers in cold water. With any luck I didnt smash the bones, but so far I can still move them pretty well. Willl see what they are like tomorrow.
Wow, that's a lotta grinding. Good luck with your fingers.
Ed P

Back