2013 POTD Thread Archive

JEFF
U are getting better at each project.
This is superb.
Just another "da" question......can U elaborate a little more on Your "SPIDER"
Seems like a special JIG U made running outside Your SPINDLE BORE ???
Is that what it is ???
Obviously it would be dimensioned to Your SPINDLE DIAMETER
Do kindly give us some more details
Thanks a Mill in advance
LORD BLESS
aRM

I doing one small CO2 engine. Wish me luck.

View attachment 56747

Holy &%$ that is cool. Can't wait to see the engine.

Jeff

- - - Updated - - -

JEFF
U are getting better at each project.
This is superb.
Just another "da" question......can U elaborate a little more on Your "SPIDER"
Seems like a special JIG U made running outside Your SPINDLE BORE ???
Is that what it is ???
Obviously it would be dimensioned to Your SPINDLE DIAMETER
Do kindly give us some more details
Thanks a Mill in advance
LORD BLESS
aRM

Thanks for the compliment. :)

Here is the original post when I made the spider. http://www.hobby-machinist.com/content.php/139-Lathe-spider There are several others that have posted some on here. Search for lathe spider. In fact I got the idea from someones post here, just can't remember whose.

Jeff

Long ago I started to build Howard Hall's Deluxe Grinding Table. I had almost finished it when I ran into trouble getting the swivel for the top part to line up. For some reason, I got very frustrated with the project and shoved the parts in a biscuit tin, and bunged it on a shelf. It languished there for over a year.
Today I decided to get it out and order material to remake parts as needed to finish it. Amazing enough, as I started looking at what I had completed, I spotted the flaws that hindered function, and discovered I could salvage most of what I had already made. It has a few extra holes in it, but it is shaping up nicely. a little JB weld and some paint and nobody but me will know. Just a couple parts to make and it'll be done! Amazing what a difference a year makes!
Don't give up!

Chuck​

I cut the 16 gauge galvanized sheet metal with my jig saw, did a little manual bending on the vise and some hammering with the ball peen and here's what I have now. Some more hammering to go and I think I'll be ready to afix the new metal and then roll over the edge. Then I'll be able to mount the bracket to attach the mower deck and hopefully be mowing the lawn this week with the new toy.

Ajax-20130708-00569.jpg

Well, I got this lawn tractor with dump trailer but the deck is toast. $300 I think its a deal. Kohler motor and hydrostatic drive, I know the owner and he takes care of stuff, er... well. maybe not the deck.

View attachment 56545

View attachment 56546

So I got some bristol board and some galvanized sheet and thought, maybe I can do this without much welding because the welds are going to blow through.

View attachment 56549View attachment 56552

Next time I get out to the shop (after the weekend) I'll cut the metal and form, drill and screw it. I was thinking of rivets, but I'll screw and then grind off the ends of the screws.

Ajax-20130708-00569.jpg

I cut the 16 gauge galvanized sheet metal with my jig saw, did a little manual bending on the vise and some hammering with the ball peen and here's what I have now. Some more hammering to go and I think I'll be ready to afix the new metal and then roll over the edge. Then I'll be able to mount the bracket to attach the mower deck and hopefully be mowing the lawn this week with the new toy.

View attachment 56776
That is sure one destroyed mower deck. I hope the prior owner took better care of the rest of the tractor than he did the deck! Probably are going to have to sharpen those blades and check the belts. My hat is off to you for the work you are doing on it. As a weekly mower operator myself I know the frustration of poor performing mowers. The grass grows faster then I can cut it down.
M.L.Woy

Making 7/8" scale train wheels using South Bend 9A lathe, finished the axles after these pictures were taken

also, welded up a 7/8" scale barge for my canal, no pictures yet

DSC_3167.jpg DSC_3170.jpg

I built a drawbar type 5C collet closer for my Grizzly G4003G lathe. I cheated and used some grizzly parts from their lever operated closer. 5MT-5C collet adaptor $98, spanner nut $3, and drawbar $38. The drawbar needed some minor machining to work with the thread on handwheel adaptor that I made but I ended up with a self centering drawbar setup that has adjustable engagement over a fairly wide range. I still have to find some setscrews to hold the tapered thrust bushing in the spindle so the bolts will have to do temporarily.
Ed P

DSC_1 drawbar parts.JPG DSC_2 thrust bushing.JPG DSC_3 handwheel adap.JPG DSC_4 disc welded.JPG DSC_5 turning adaptor plate.JPG DSC_5a handwheel adaptor complete.JPG DSC_6 counterbore.JPG DSC_7 future handwheel.JPG DSC_8 handwheel installed on adaptor.JPG DSC_9 assembled drawbar.JPG DSC_10 endmill.JPG DSC_11 emdmill in collet.JPG

Last edited:
I was walking with my beagles a couple days ago and someone had thrown away 2 toolboxes, each partially filled with tools including an entire set of good fractional twist drill bits

Back