2013 POTD Thread Archive

My QCTP arrived from http://www.ctctools.biz/servlet/StoreFront in Hong Kong in 7 days from ordering. Most impressed.
A huge chunk of steel I thought.
As I only have 6mm square bits at present and didnt want to wait and alter the top slide as most have done so I knocked up a new steel top screw and handle.
I recessed the nut so it clamps at its edge rather than its centre.
qctp1.jpg

A small spacer at the bottom to ensure alignment

qctp2.jpg

I was rather pleased with the tapered ally knob. The rounded end I sort of step turned to rough shape then finished with a magicut file.

qctp3.jpg

I only had a 2" dia lump of steel so a whole bucket of chips ensued from this exercise.

qctp1.jpg qctp2.jpg qctp3.jpg

Im only a couple months into this whole hobby machinist thing and am pretty much self teaching. I had a chunk of aluminum laying around so I made up this little pulley. It wasn't made for anything I just wanted to try and make one. I am having a blast making useless items just to get familiar with the lathe and such.
View attachment 57962

pulley.jpg

Did this yesterday, I made a new pivot spindle for the idler arm on my JD 7720.
New part is $100 just need to weld and paint.

The idler arm was wallowed out so I brazed it and ran the boring head down it and pressed in 2 new bushings.
$12 in bushings fixed up a $135 part.

Pivotwithnewpin.jpg

Pivotandidlerarm.jpg

Today i ran 1/2 PVC pipe along the perimeter of my barn "Teeing" off every 8 feet so I could have ready available air at my machinery and not taking the risk of tripping over the hose running on the floor. It worked well, put 2 regulators, one on hose reel for auto and another for machine air for tools.

Pmedic828,
pvc is not a good idea for air. pvc can shatter and throw shrapnel . I worked with a guy that ended up losing eyesight in both eyes while wearing safety glasses .

Mike

I agree, PVC is a bad idea.
Not sure about your air needs but around here I won't go any smaller than 3/4".
1/2" wouldn't feed my 3/4 and 1" air wrenches to full torque.

Im only a couple months into this whole hobby machinist thing and am pretty much self teaching. I had a chunk of aluminum laying around so I made up this little pulley. It wasn't made for anything I just wanted to try and make one. I am having a blast making useless items just to get familiar with the lathe and such.
View attachment 57962

Yes, like the rest of us you will find great satisfaction in spending thousands of dollars to make $10.00 items you can purchase at Lowes. BUT WHAT A SATISFACTION OF SAYING "I BUILT IT!" and having your friends say, every time they great you, "AND WHAT HAVE YOU MADE LATELY?"

M.L.Woy

Yes, like the rest of us you will find great satisfaction in spending thousands of dollars to make $10.00 items you can purchase at Lowes. BUT WHAT A SATISFACTION OF SAYING "I BUILT IT!" and having your friends say, every time they great you, "AND WHAT HAVE YOU MADE LATELY?"

M.L.Woy

Hee hee - My wife told me there are things I shouldn't quote to her. This message being one of those. :-D

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4 Beta

My wife started-in on this one time and I came back with "Well maybe you don't need to spend 40 bucks on a tube of lipstick -which has no return on investment at all". Things got real quite after that -and still are a couple years later. -Guess I told her :LOL:...

Ray

Hee hee - My wife told me there are things I shouldn't quote to her. This message being one of those. :-D

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4 Beta

My wife started-in on this one time and I came back with "Well maybe you don't need to spend 40 bucks on a tube of lipstick -which has no return on investment at all". Things got real quite after that -and still are a couple years later. -Guess I told her :LOL:...

Ray

LOL OH NO, YOU DIDNT!!! . Well, you KNOW your going to pay for that one lol Usually they let it sit a few years then BLAM!!! right out of the blue :)

I LIKE my wife to wear lipstick!! I'm a real sucker for it.

Today,among other things,I started making an 18th. C. pump drill for a friend in the museum. The worst thing is cutting the pesky tapered thread on the nose. I have no taper attachment for the Hardinge. Can't remember hold I did it many years ago. I just crank back the cross feed while threading. Then,I use a needle file to smooth the threads. I remembered I have threading combs when I came in tonight. I will use the 20 thd one tomorrow to smooth over the threads. Then,the threads are slit so that when the knurled nut is tightened on the tapered threads,the 1/8" shank spade drill (I make those,too) will be tightened. I used to make a lot of those.

One Summer I made 6 of those before going to a flea market. I let them stick up out of my back pack while going around the market. I sold every one of those. Paid for the trip and stuff I purchased. By now,I've forgotten how I used to make certain things on the blasted things,though.

Back