2013 POTD Thread Archive

Finished my tram guage today...ok, it's a bar of aluminum with a couple of dial gauges stuck in it. Fly cut the bar, leaves a nice finish, then lapped the base so I can set it up on my surface plate.

tramtool1.jpg

After putting it off, I finally bored out my 7x10 3 jaw chuck to full 3/4"

attachment.php?attachmentid=57819&d=1374781185&thumb=1.jpg

Now I can put 3/4" stock throught the chuck.

Many have ground the back cover screws to clear, but I used sockethead caps screws cut to a head diameter of .070
that means I don't have to index the screws in the same holes next time I disassemble the chuck.​

Now that I bored out my chuck to 3/4" I can fit 5/8" hex bar too, so I made the boring bar holder I've been planning:

Face and center drill the 5/8" steel hex bar,
Boring Bar sm1.JPG

Drill out (5/32, then 5/16)
(the 5/16 drill ended up almost 11/32 with a new Chicago Latrobe bit!)
Boring Bar sm2.JPG

Ream to 3/8",
Boring Bar sm3.JPG

A little counter-sink,
Boring Bar sm4.JPG

Cut to about 2", face and countersink the other side,
Boring Bar sm5.JPG

Getting there,
Boring Bar sm6.JPG

Cut a slit to allow clamping screws on tool post to tighten the block,
Boring Bar sm7.JPG

A quick hit on the buffing wheel to make it shine,
Boring Bar sm8.JPG

Ready for my next adventure in boring
Boring Bar sm9.JPG

(Now I need to start a new project to try it out!)

Boring Bar sm9.JPG Boring Bar sm1.JPG Boring Bar sm2.JPG Boring Bar sm3.JPG Boring Bar sm4.JPG Boring Bar sm5.JPG Boring Bar sm6.JPG Boring Bar sm7.JPG Boring Bar sm8.JPG

It's been a lot longer than a day in the shop but I finished a DIY cnc router. My own design. Got my key for mach3 yesterday, went out to the shed and the hard drive failed. Now to get another PC. gupy3yde.jpg

And yes I know I should clean the shop and finish the wall. Blah blah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Today i ran 1/2 PVC pipe along the perimeter of my barn "Teeing" off every 8 feet so I could have ready available air at my machinery and not taking the risk of tripping over the hose running on the floor. It worked well, put 2 regulators, one on hose reel for auto and another for machine air for tools.

Today i ran 1/2 PVC pipe along the perimeter of my barn "Teeing" off every 8 feet so I could have ready available air at my machinery and not taking the risk of tripping over the hose running on the floor. It worked well, put 2 regulators, one on hose reel for auto and another for machine air for tools.

Pmedic828,
pvc is not a good idea for air. pvc can shatter and throw shrapnel . I worked with a guy that ended up losing eyesight in both eyes while wearing safety glasses .

Mike

Started to make a pair of 45[SUP]o[/SUP] vise jaws for a quick way of holding something in the mill. I really hate swinging the mill head and losing tram. While I'm at it, I'll probably make a 60[SUP]o[/SUP] set too. These will be reversible and can be flipped around. Anyhow, these are rough cut and the metal is 4150. It's HR now so I'll make the basic forms heat treat them to 55 RC grind them precisely and hopefully use them for the rest of my life.

Any ideas for other common angles?

Ray

Vise Jaws.JPG

Vise Jaws.JPG

Back