2013 POTD Thread Archive

Made this to puzzle the guys at work. And to see if I could. Really happy with the results. Material is 316 Stainless.

Its called "The Impossible Bolt". Saw it somewhere in the forums.

Photo Jul 22, 3 31 34 PM.jpg

FYI: The cap screws in the end have nothing to do with it. They just cover the center drills to make it look clean. (I was going to use flat heads, but didn't have any on hand.

-Cody

Photo Jul 22, 3 31 34 PM.jpg

Made this to puzzle the guys at work. And to see if I could. Really happy with the results. Material is 316 Stainless.

View attachment 57652

FYI: The cap screws in the end have nothing to do with it. They just cover the center drills to make it look clean. (I was going to use flat heads, but didn't have any on hand.

-Cody

OK, I'm baffled.

I'm baffled too. Could you post the link to the build/solution, since we can't pick it up and try to solve it?

Thanks,

Scott

View attachment 57652

-Cody

i made one of those bolts when i was an apprentice years ago. The tech school instucter was baffled and wanted to keep it for his students, so i gave it to him. Who knows it may still be in the display case there.

I'm baffled too. Could you post the link to the build/solution, since we can't pick it up and try to solve it?

Thanks,

Scott

I'm gonna give it a bit, see if anyone can figure it out! No-one at work has figured it out yet!

(I'll start another thread)

-Cody

About a jillion or two years ago, (OK, sometime in the 70's) I saw a similar puzzle in Popular Science or Popular Mechanics or some such.

This version depended on having the same thread pitch on both threads, and called for a rather short outer threaded section - just under twice the thickness of the nut. This kept the joint hidden under the nut, and having the same pitch on both threads allowed the two pieces to be threaded together "over the inner stud and under the nut".

I built one out of a 1/2" - 20 bolt about 6" long (with 1/4 - 20 stud) and two nuts - one on the threaded end section and one captured. Wonder whatever happened to it ...

Little cooler, not much, another T storm day. Been fixin to get a start on Lincoln wire wheel hubcaps. Best I come up with, is a 3/8 alum. plate. Plan is to cut some pieces then epoxy them together vised up overnite. I discovered using 4" hole saw> wd then carb cleaner, wd then carb cleaner, back and forth seemed to help keeping the cut clean. I wrote somewhere this will be a mill, lathe and shaper, and buff job. Actually the buffing was the hard part I was going to put this in the ongoing shaper thread, but the shaper is faster. The mill is the choice for a hole saw cause I can get around 78 rpms and definately need the lathe for turning, facing and recesses and a shaper for octagon. Not counting the epoxy curing Im in it for 1.5hr most being hole sawing and buffing. Still way ahead in buying OEM parts. The old story, machine one, get a system, probably can bang out 2 an hour. I dont think anyone can tell its counterfit although it needs more buffing and the plastic center covering the screw hole, right now the graffic is only done with sharpie.

four more to go!!

116-1621_STA.JPG 116-1622_STA.JPG 116-1623_STA.JPG 116-1624_STA.JPG 116-1625_STA.JPG 116-1626_STB.JPG

Nice job GK I don't think anyone will be able to tell there not OEM.

Paul

Back