2013 POTD Thread Archive

Rewired the static phase converter with a twist lock receptacle. Now I can plug in either the Bridgeport or the South Bend and use one or the other. Worked out great!
If it proves to be an inconvenience, I may buy another phase converter, for now I don't mind unplugging.
Next I need a QCTP for the lathe.
Larry

.Static Phase Converter.JPG13 South Bend.JPGBridgeport.PNG

Bridgeport.PNG Static Phase Converter.JPG 13 South Bend.JPG

Rewired the static phase converter with a twist lock receptacle. Now I can plug in either the Bridgeport or the South Bend and use one or the other. Worked out great!
If it proves to be an inconvenience, I may buy another phase converter, for now I don't mind unplugging.
Next I need a QCTP for the lathe.
Larry

.View attachment 58303View attachment 58304View attachment 58302
Why not piggy back another twistlock on to the existing one so both machines can remain plugged in all the time?

what am I missing here ? how do you keep them from rising apart when you tighten the ? or do I need more coffee ?

The fixed jaw stays put. The sliding jaw will raise a couple thou but, you can put a flat bar over it and hold it down with a toe clamp. On my vise, the sliding part is held firmly and I got away without the toe clamp.

Ray

Instead of having the jaws as shown as they are sitting on the vise, reverse the jaws and put the moveable jaw where it will want to be forced down instead of up.

BTW...I like the idea of having a set of angled jaws.

Angled jaws.JPG

Guys,

I'm not saying it's the cure all to end all... It's just a quick tool in the arsenal of man against metal... I do not have a good angle plate that's strong enough to mill on so, this came to mind to help get past a problem at hand.

Ray

Instead of having the jaws as shown as they are sitting on the vise, reverse the jaws and put the moveable jaw where it will want to be forced down instead of up.

BTW...I like the idea of having a set of angled jaws.

Guys,

I'm not saying it's the cure all to end all... It's just a quick tool in the arsenal of man against metal... I do not have a good angle plate that's strong enough to mill on so, this came to mind to help get past a problem at hand.

Ray

Great idea! You could use them as jaws, and bolt them to the face of the stationary and moveable jaws. Maybe a way to make them adjustable? :idea2:

-Cody

I wouldn't mind hearing more about this in it's own thread- I am curious about the roller etc and other parts...

Bernie

I have an upcoming project for the winter. It will require helical gears in a size that's not commercially available. A fellow on another forum came up with a fixture for cutting your own. I really enjoy the learning process as much as the making process so I built the fixture. It basically a block with .500 close fitting hole for a piece of drill rod. The shaft has a holder on one end and an indexing plate on the other. Along with the indexing plate is another plate to hold a pre-formed helical template cut to the proper angle to produce the required helix on the gear. If the desired gear has a common DP then stock involute cutters can be used. My gears are 72 DP so that necessitated making up my own cutter. When making or using a cutter the appropriate shape (involute) is not used for the actual tooth count of the gear but rather a number that will produce the proper width and shape to the tooth. In my case I need 14 teeth but the cutter was made for a 30 tooth count gear. The cutter was made from drill rod, hardened and tempered. Normally I don't temper but with the small profile of the cutter I didn't want it to break. The pictures show the setup along with the fixture. The last picture shows the finished helical gear with the 30 tooth spur gear that I had cut to prove out the cutter shape.
gbritnell

I finished the 5C Chuck adapter plate for the Bison 4in 3 Jaw. I love this chuck, and I love using 5C whenever possible, so I plan on using it a lot! And of course, no need to remove the part from the chuck for multiple operations on different machines and fixtures. Yessss

I had purchased a few 5C fixture blanks a few years ago, since I hate paying extra shipping to order things separately. Luckily, I had one 4inches wide, and needed to take about a 1/2 inch off the face. Lots of curly chips!

2u8a7u8u.jpg

I then bored it out the same as the through-hole in the chuck.

Of the million ways to skin a cat, I chose the full rotary table, chuck-mounted setup to drill the hole pattern on the mill. The 5C arbor limited some choices, and I wanted to drill and counterbore from the back side, so a 5C fixture was out.
Plus, this allowed for each operation to be done at all three holes, before changing tools and bits and just rotating around to all three holes again (as opposed to changing bits and operations at each hole).
I will say it a million times- nothing like having damn good drill bits. And an assortment of lengths, shanks, and cutting edge profiles. Worth every penny. And you get nice chips!

zysu4aha.jpg

Have to chamfer the holes on both sides so the chuck sits nice and flat, and guided only by the boss.

ny5u2evy.jpg

Nice and neat.

ere8ebyb.jpg

Sits out a little bit further than the big thread mounted chuck, but this is so quick and small.

ejy7a4yr.jpg

You'd think the first thing I would do is check the runout, but that isn't as important for a 3 jaw, and all I did was cut metal! But I am curious, so I'll update tomorrow.

Thanks folks!

Bernie

Last edited:
I think that is is great that your grandson shows interest in the shop. Hopefully he will want to spend more and more time with grandpa in the shop and really learn the machines and what they do. I know so many people that went to college, never had any machine time at all under their belt, but yet try to tell someone how to machine something. Hopefully your grandson will grasp all as to what it takes. Then by the time he is out of college (if he goes) he will have a real wealth of information to mentor others in the machining world. Small ones, when they reach a certain age, really need to learn something like machining instead of sitting on the couch rotting their brains away on some video game, or hanging out on a street corner doing drugs.

Good for you for being his mentor in his early stage of life. :thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

I also think this is a great thing! My Grandson is 1 1/2 years old know, and LOVES playing on the lathe, (With it LOCKED OUT!). He gets a stool so he can reach the apron knobs, and the cross slide and LOVES watching the way they move! I hope he goes to college, but I will not force him either way, better to do something you LOVE, than to do something you hate! My daughter in law is big on teaching him new things, and even before he could talk, at 1 year old, she taught him sign language! She would hold him next to the lathe and mill, even before he could walk, he would just sit there and stare at all the lathe controls and knobs! And then he would stare at me! Really touched my heart!
Bob in Oregon

- - - Updated - - -

Thats the cleanest lathe ive ever seen, i would be afraid to use it.

Yes I second that! Maybe it's really NOS out of the SB catalog??? LOL Bob in Oregon!

Here is a pic of DEXTER on his first lathe! (Locked OUT of Coarse)!

WP_20130719_014.jpg

Back