2013 POTD Thread Archive

Here is a pic of DEXTER on his first lathe! (Locked OUT of Coarse)!

Another few years and you need to get him his first tool box and safety glasses. Let him have a small space in the shop for his stuff.

Jeff

I have been restoring a 1977 Honda express scooter and the new carburetor came with a fuel shut off valve I didn't need because the fuel tank has it's own. I made an Inlet tube to replace the valve. It took less than an hour to draw and make.
steve

DSCF0924.JPG DSCF0925.JPG DSCF0926.JPG DSCF0927.JPG DSCF0929.JPG DSCF0930.JPG DSCF0931.JPG DSCF0932.JPG DSCF0933.JPG DSCF0936.JPG DSCF0938.JPG

Several projects got done today.

Motor control for the leadscrew for my minilathe. Used an Arduino that I had laying around to do the PWM, overkill, but eventually I'm thinking of adding a smoother control for the spindle, and interlock functions. So its already on-board and ready.
Photo Aug 05, 2 28 18 PM.jpg
Master power for the leadscrew is tied to main power for lathe. Left switch is power for Arduino and motor, center is direction, speed knob on the right.
Photo Aug 05, 2 28 14 PM.jpg
Radio Shack boxes house the 24vdc power supply, Arduino, and a circuit board I built to hold the transistor and 5vdc regulator for the Arduino.
Photo Aug 05, 2 28 26 PM.jpg

Found a nifty place to store the chuck key for the Mini. It used to house the small interlock switch for the chuck guard.
Photo Aug 05, 2 28 38 PM.jpg

Bored and sleeved the mounting plate on my new, but in need of "repair", HF bench grinder. It was running out about 20 thou, bored it out about 100 over, pressed in a bushing, and drilled and bored for a nice tight fit. Good as "new".
Photo Aug 04, 12 37 49 PM.jpg :roflmao:

-Cody

Photo Aug 04, 12 37 49 PM.jpg Photo Aug 05, 2 28 14 PM.jpg Photo Aug 05, 2 28 18 PM.jpg Photo Aug 05, 2 28 26 PM.jpg Photo Aug 05, 2 28 38 PM.jpg

Another few years and you need to get him his first tool box and safety glasses. Let him have a small space in the shop for his stuff.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff for the post, yes I plan on doing exactly that! But I can say, the little grandson is pretty stubborn! Not sure where he got that from? LOL BOB in Oregon

Several projects got done today.

Motor control for the leadscrew for my minilathe. Used an Arduino that I had laying around to do the PWM, overkill, but eventually I'm thinking of adding a smoother control for the spindle, and interlock functions. So its already on-board and ready.
View attachment 58520
Master power for the leadscrew is tied to main power for lathe. Left switch is power for Arduino and motor, center is direction, speed knob on the right.
View attachment 58519
Radio Shack boxes house the 24vdc power supply, Arduino, and a circuit board I built to hold the transistor and 5vdc regulator for the Arduino.
View attachment 58521

Found a nifty place to store the chuck key for the Mini. It used to house the small interlock switch for the chuck guard.
View attachment 58522

Bored and sleeved the mounting plate on my new, but in need of "repair", HF bench grinder. It was running out about 20 thou, bored it out about 100 over, pressed in a bushing, and drilled and bored for a nice tight fit. Good as "new".
View attachment 58518 :roflmao:

-Cody

Wow Cody! I am looking to make a control like this for my Sherline for a while now! I even have the Arduino etc, (newbie starter kit) and have to get started learning it all.

Mind if I pick your brain when I get there?

Bernie

I used my South Bend 9A faceplate yesterday for the first time to make a hole in a steel utility cover for the new 220V plug outlet I installed for my Marquette welder. I'll have to take a photo, sorry.

Anyway, the steel must be tough, like super tough b/c it took a while before the hole went thru in the cover. I tried using a HSS cutoff tool and also a right hand HSS turning tool. It took maybe a good 5 minutes to cut thru that thin metal.

I had the speed at a slow setting. Maybe next time I'll try faster. Also used a lot of cutting oil. I'm guessing it must be stainless steel?

Wow Cody! I am looking to make a control like this for my Sherline for a while now! I even have the Arduino etc, (newbie starter kit) and have to get started learning it all.

Mind if I pick your brain when I get there?

Bernie

Absolutely! The program is really simple, one analog input, one analog output, and a map() function.

Let me know!

-Cody

I started and almost completed the tilt table that was shown on the oxtoolco video for the clausing drill press. I did not have and aluminum plate so I had to use 1/2 inch steel plate - milled flat on the pivot points (one on wide side and narrow side) - tomorrow I will attempt to square plate and drill holes in plate to mount projects. (didn't break a tap by the way). :)) Will attempt to take pics tomorrow!

I started and almost completed the tilt table that was shown on the oxtoolco video for the clausing drill press...Will attempt to take pics tomorrow!

Looking forward to seeing your finished table. When I first saw this on Tom's video, it looked so much simpler than a sine plate. It's also a great beginner's project since it's only two pieces-- a length of round bar and a plate. One little point: I think he used it on his mill to make the Morse Taper wedges to remove the MT arbor from a large drill chuck and install another size arbor. That larger chuck with the new arbor then ended up on the drill press.

Hoping I can land some round stock and plate locally.

Early morning here; yesterday I made and installed a new hinge for my sons glasses from a #12 SS screw, worked on our new propane powered forge and picked up a new to me anvil and a nice set of blacksmith tongs.

Today I get my new to me lathe delivered, a AI Hembrug DR1S 4000rpm with all the fixings including hardened ways, 3 jaw, 4 jaw and collet setup, have several projects waiting for this new tool also should get the propane pressure regulator in, so I can test the burner for the forge.

Back