2013 POTD Thread Archive

Momma's van quit charging! I knew exactly when it happened too!

I get too heavy handed taking the alternator apart mushrooming the thread that holds the pulley on.

End up stripping the nut! :banghead: I know! I know! Haste made waste!

Found a nut with just a little smaller thread, (5/8-18), chuck the armature up in the lathe, and cut a new thread. The armature was with in .005 of the shaft with. If that alternator ever makes it to a rebuilder, which I doubt it will happen, they'll be in for a surprise! That'll slow they guy down who's done thousands of this type of alternators. The van is a '95 and rusty.

Momma's van is now charging again with a new voltage regulator and brush set. Oh I did turn the slip rings too. :thumbsup:

I doubt I would have thought of cutting a new thread if it hadn't been for this forum! Thanks guys!

Worked on the combine.
The feeder house conveyor drive chain guides were worn out so it was replace time.
Guides $50 + tax each for OEM.
Dug some ash off of the trimmings shelf (priceless lol).

Found some previous hack had replaced one of the upper brackets that is supposed to be slotted.
Dealer price?
Welded closed the lowest hole, the other holes that were there weren't drilled straight but I put it on the mill and cut a slot it came out pretty good.
I didn't have the right steel bar in stock or I would have made a new one.

UpperBracket1.jpg
UpperBracket2.jpg

Imagine that, these 2 pieces of wood would set me back $100 from the dealer.
Even going to the local lumber yard wouldn't set you back much.
I think it came out OK.
In the spring the feeder house will get a through going through.

DriveChainGuides.jpg

UpperBracket1.jpg

UpperBracket2.jpg

DriveChainGuides.jpg

Worked on the combine.
The feeder house conveyor drive chain guides were worn out so it was replace time.
Guides $50 + tax each for OEM.
Dug some ash off of the trimmings shelf (priceless lol).

Found some previous hack had replaced one of the upper brackets that is supposed to be slotted.
Dealer price?
Welded closed the lowest hole, the other holes that were there weren't drilled straight but I put it on the mill and cut a slot it came out pretty good.
I didn't have the right steel bar in stock or I would have made a new one.

UpperBracket1.jpg
UpperBracket2.jpg

Imagine that, these 2 pieces of wood would set me back $100 from the dealer.
Even going to the local lumber yard wouldn't set you back much.
I think it came out OK.
In the spring the feeder house will get a through going through.

DriveChainGuides.jpg

Way to keep the old stuff running!

Just to add a thought!

When people talk about farm machinery, many use the word combine without thinking about it. What machines were "combined" to get this machine? Just trying to stir the pot!

UpperBracket1.jpg

UpperBracket2.jpg

DriveChainGuides.jpg

Way to keep the old stuff running!

Just to add a thought!

When people talk about farm machinery, many use the word combine without thinking about it. What machines were "combined" to get this machine? Just trying to stir the pot!

Generally a mower and a thrasher. Depending on the machine, some might even bail the straw but I have never seen one that did.

Huge time and work saver. Before that it was cut the grain, bind it into sheaves, then haul it somewhere for thrashing (and losing much grain in transportation).

Basically it does 3 jobs at once.
It reaps the crops from the field.
It threshes the grain from the stalk
It separates the grain from the chaff.

Us poor folk run the old stuff since it is cheap to buy.
If one has a decent shop with a mill, lathe and welding equipment a lot of money can be saved over buying OEM Chinese made parts.

Today I am working over one of the fan clutches since last season it wouldn't hit top speed.
I didn't take "before" pics since there was no real machining just clean, paint and lube.
Paint is still drying.

Got real tired of the crappy rickety base on the HF band saw, so decided to scrap it and put a real base on it. Glad I made a hoist for the press as it made it an easier job than having to manhandle the thing during fitting lol

IMAG0237.jpg

Decided to use some 3/8" flat bar I had (overkill, but it was cheap and I had it) and keep the same leg angles. Used the original mounting holes and decided to add casters to the back legs since I pull it out to use it. After a lot of cutting (angles on the flat bar) I pulled the old crap base off and fitted/welded the two top sections for mounting (threaded them for 1/4-20 cap head bolts). After welding the legs on and putting in the bottom braces (which will carry a tray for catching the filings for easy cleanup) I welded a small strip for the "pull out handle" at the front.

IMAG0240.jpg

It was easy putting it on the stand with the hoist, and even after a lot of welding the holes still lined up lol. At least now when I pull it out to use it the thing doesnt twist and shake all over the place. Once I get the press done I can bend up a tray for it (along with the coolant tray for the mill).

IMAG0242.jpg

IMAG0242.jpg IMAG0237.jpg IMAG0240.jpg

Did this on the cnc while cleaning. Hickory book matched 1911 grip blanks. I have a buddy that does hand carving. It takes me half an hour and saves him several hours. 5yqytesa.jpg

5yqytesa.jpg

Well, today I discovered that "stupidity is the mother of invention" LOL. The press looks good, but now I need to make the pin holes, which is easy on the front and back rails, BUT not so easy in the center double thick section, Hole saw just wont reach

IMAG0249_zps872edfac.jpg

So after kicking myself, I decided to make a hole saw extension.

IMAG0250_zps4298892f.jpg

Drilled out some 1" bar so that a 1/4" ratchet extension would pass through, then drilled larger at one end to hold a socket. Added some set screws to hold the extension, the socket and the hole saw (so it wouldn't fall off in side the tubes). Once all together it made a solid unit that wont come apart

IMAG0252_zps11dd99d7.jpg

After a few minuits of drilling away, I succeeded in getting through.

IMAG0253_zpsd9d5f8d3.jpg

This worked out well for the brake table pins, as so Im going to make another one for the press table which will use larger 1 1/2" pins

IMAG0249_zps872edfac.jpg

IMAG0250_zps4298892f.jpg

IMAG0252_zps11dd99d7.jpg

IMAG0253_zpsd9d5f8d3.jpg

I had been meaning to make something to help me square off flat(er) pieces in the lathe chuck. I recently got some scrap metal bars, so i used on piece (had been drilled through in some spots) to make this bar for a bearing/indicator. It seems to work just fine, and I lucked out on the dovetail - it fits perfect! Not pretty, but functional.:thumbsup:

indicate01.jpgindicate02.jpg

indicate01.jpg indicate02.jpg

Today I reproduced a bolt for the back of my vintage Emerson fan. The bolt itself was no big deal but it was my first chance to use my lathe like a shaper to cut the slot in the head. I had read about doing it on this site and wanted to try it. Worked like a charm. The only thing I would do differently is to lock the saddle in place and use the compound to advance the cutter into the work. I used the cross slide to move the tool across the work. The cutter is a .0625" cut off blade mounted side ways in a QCTP holder.

100_8881.JPG100_8882.JPG100_8883.JPG100_8884.JPG100_8885.JPG100_8886.JPG100_8887.JPG100_8888.JPG

Jeff

100_8881.JPG 100_8882.JPG 100_8883.JPG 100_8884.JPG 100_8885.JPG 100_8886.JPG 100_8887.JPG 100_8888.JPG

Back