2014 POTD Thread Archive

Not much of a hangover today with a little time this afternoon ended up as a chuck key for my 4 jaw. Seems to be an odd size of some sort, so I'd been wanting to make one. I grabbed an old bolt from a bunch of hardware I got from an estate and went to work on it. I have no idea where the set screw came from, but it's been laying around for a week or so and needed to be put to use. Nothing fancy, but it works.
View attachment 67064
Like this use of an seemingly old wasted junky Bolt !!!
U have given us some nice ideas to work on
As always, Thanks a stack for posting
aRM

Well we did say we liked the idea of utilising abandoned stuff
Got down to making part of our de-burring set, which was lingering on our mind for quite some time.
Followed Scott B Lacey's idea from an old article in the HSM, except that we used rusted BOLTS for this project.
He recommended CARBIDE BALL BURRS mounted in handles of Brass or what have U, for de-Burring all sorts of holes etc
Having made these, we can vouch they work real slick.
Give it a shot, U will be pleased with the results.
aRM010.JPG

010.JPG

Last edited:
I finally replaced the stupid set screw for the cutting stop on the bandsaw. Seriously, what jerk decided everyone needs to get out a set of allen wrenches to do every little thing?

IMG_0296.JPG

Of course the reason it bothered me was I started making a little set of small toe clamps.

IMG_0297.JPG

I took a couple shortcuts to make the bevels. I used two different sized parallels to set the angle. When I flipped them, the material removed changed the angle a little bit. I thought about making a jig to hold them at a proper angle but decided it was not worth the effort. It makes no difference at all in the functionality. Just need to slot them for the clamping screw. I might add an extra threaded hole to use a jack screw on small stuff. Have not decided yet.

IMG_0297.JPG

IMG_0296.JPG

At certain times a jack screw could have come in really handy instead of the step blocks. That's a great idea!

I went ahead and finished up the clamps. The bar is 12L14. The slot is about 0.5 in long and the jack screws are M5. Just a little deburring and they are done. Will hit them with a scotchbrite wheel for finishing.

IMG_0298.JPG

IMG_0298.JPG

I just got a new 4" 4 jaw chuck for my Mini-Lathe, so tonight I made a second key for it:

MiniLathe11_zps7ec3d850.jpg

Started out with a 5/8" and a 1/4" Grade 2 bolts, and went to work on it. I've had good luck using Grade 2 bolts for cheap stock. They turn pretty nicely.

All done on the Mini-Lathe. I wanted to make the T bar a press fit, but my chinese el-cheapo size "D" drill made the hole about 4 thousandths too big... so I soldered the bar in with some plumbers solder. Too cold outside to get the torch out and braze it tonight.

MiniLathe11_zps7ec3d850.jpg

Finished up some indexable turning tools, after a trip to KBC Tools in Elk Grove Village, IL. on Fri. for some carbide inserts.

140101_0001.jpg140101_0000.jpgDSCF0479.JPG140103_0000.jpg

140101_0000.jpg 140101_0001.jpg 140103_0000.jpg DSCF0479.JPG

Back