2014 POTD Thread Archive

My son is building a trailer for his Grandma for a welding/ag project. I am having him use some 1 5/8" galvanized pipe for the uprights and needed to fishmouth the top edge for a clean, strong build. I grabbed a tubing notcher (I had bought from a neighbor several years ago and hadnt ever used) and was going to change the hole saw to the correct size. I proceeded to twist off the adapter the company had made with my hands! So, I made a new shaft to fit the larger hole saws that I use. Even got the chance to do some threading with the lathe, hadnt done that yet, and still need some practice! Here is the rebuild of the tubing notcher so he can continue on the trailer.

View attachment 89286View attachment 89285View attachment 89284View attachment 89283View attachment 89282View attachment 89281View attachment 89280

Good job, just be careful welding that galvanized pipe, it'll make you sicker than a dog breathing those fumes.

Good job, just be careful welding that galvanized pipe, it'll make you sicker than a dog breathing those fumes.

Yes indeed! Had it a few times, makes for a miserable night. I use a oxy/acetylene torch and heat the pipe till its red and the galvanize burns off. Makes it much easier to weld then :)

Re: Easy holiday lathe project

Easy holiday lathe project kindy cheesey but she loved it
no precision tool needed just a few BB's and a piece of stockView attachment 89268

damn, now I have another project to do. I wonder if I can get the kids to help and keep a secret? My wife would go nuts over this as she's Christmas crazy :)

I have a smokeless muzzleloader build starting up and I find I need to bore a very precise hole with multiple shoulders, ID's and a thread. I had a one inch DI on my carriage stop but this hole is nearly two inches deep. Today I modified the carriage stop to hold a two inch DI. I don't know why the two inch DI's are so big. They have one inch more stroke than the standard unit but are nearly five inches longer. I had to extend the holder out to clear the headstock. I also attached a piece of angle on the carriage to catch the DI's plunger. I attached the angle by using longer bolts in the holes that attach the apron to the carriage. That piece of angle is a lot bigger than it has to be because I'm considering incorporating a cross slide lock into it as a future project. The second picture is the 1 inch DI on my cross slide which I had done previously.

CARRIAGE FEED   DI    2 INCH.JPG CROSS FEED DI   1 INCH.JPG

Yes indeed! Had it a few times, makes for a miserable night. I use a oxy/acetylene torch and heat the pipe till its red and the galvanize burns off. Makes it much easier to weld then :)

Hydrochloric acid (muriatic) available from hardware stores & Big Box home improvement will quickly remove galvanizing. Definitely work outside & stand up wind. Follow with a complete water rinse.

Hydrogen is produced but outdoors it should not pose a problem.

The acid can corrode shop items readily if used indoors so I store mine outside. It's not very expensive.

Hydrochloric acid (muriatic) available from hardware stores & Big Box home improvement will quickly remove galvanizing. Definitely work outside & stand up wind. Follow with a complete water rinse.

Hydrogen is produced but outdoors it should not pose a problem.

The acid can corrode shop items readily if used indoors so I store mine outside. It's not very expensive.
+1 It works great...but...it will rust any steel near it even if the container is "closed". Store it in a "secure" well ventilated place outside.

Did a patio umbrella stand out of 2" conduit. Fish mouths on the X base and a double-fish mouth on the vertical. Used Winmiter or Wincut software and a right angle grinder to make the fish moths.

Ken

Back