2014 POTD Thread Archive

Finally got the chance to get back into the shop and finish the DRO setup on the lathe. I had already gotten 2 axis done and just needed to finish the Tailstock. Didnt turn out too bad by my standards :)

Wow so you added a readout to the tailstock quill. Pretty cool! I assume you fabricated the mounting bracketry etc.? That all looks like you did a great job. So did you already have the 3-axis readout and decide to utilize unused axis or were you looking for precision depth drilling?

I went out for breakfast with my friend then to his shop to work on my mini lathe spindle.

I need to make some new spacers. 2 small ones out of aluminum, and a end spacer out of a graphite material.
After mounting the spindle in a 4 jaw, we found the the spindle was bent with .008 run out at the nut end .005 at the middle.
We refaced the chuck mounting face -.003 then used a torch to heat one side of the shaft red, then quenched it with cold water. You can see the burnish marks on the shaft from the torch. (My friend seen this method on a youtube video). It worked!
We eventually got the shaft to within .002. run out at the threads and less than .0005 at the flange
I really wish I had took a video but we needed 4 hands to do the work.
I'm so happy we could save the shaft .
Here are some pics with new spacers. The last pic is of the bent shaft, it's hard to see the poor factory machining.

And my Christmas present afterwards.

Thanks J.!

005.JPG 001.JPG 002.JPG 004.JPG 003.JPG

Wow so you added a readout to the tailstock quill. Pretty cool! I assume you fabricated the mounting bracketry etc.? That all looks like you did a great job. So did you already have the 3-axis readout and decide to utilize unused axis or were you looking for precision depth drilling?

thanks! I had to make everything. I wanted to be able to do precision drilling. I am not good at reading dials and screwed up multiple items by going too far. TPAC Tools on Ebay is a great source for multiple axis dro systems. I have their 4 axis on the Mill and 3 axis on the lathe.(not affiliated with them, just happy with their product)

My old GPS system and laptop died in my Jeep so I needed a new one. Went with a Microsoft Pharos system this time and Panasonic Toughbook to take the dust and abuse. Got the GPS mount made today from a old piece of 16gauge.

20141227_123123 (Large).jpg

20141227_123030 (Large).jpg

20141227_123549 (Large).jpg

20141227_123607 (Large).jpg

20141227_123123 (Large).jpg 20141227_123030 (Large).jpg 20141227_123549 (Large).jpg 20141227_123607 (Large).jpg

Those T-slots are handy. My 4 jaw doesn't have them.

When I purchased my 8" Gator 4-jaw the pic showed the slots. When I received it the chuck didn't have them & I was a bit bummed. The slots are generally only available on 10" & larger chucks.

This chuck is a 14 inch. The slots take the same T-nuts as the milling machine with 1/2 inch studs.

Greg

Took me a week to read all 90 pages of this thread but was so worth it! So motivating!

Back