2015 POTD Thread Archive

I have no clear idea what it means Uncle Harry, but I've heard it all my life.

Didn't realize you were in my neck of the woods firestopper. Why firestopper as your name?

autonoz, I'm 60-70 miles south of you. My Mom lives in CG, that town has grown a bunch.
I been stopping fires for for some time with TFD. You look like a fire stopper yourself given the mustache. I used to sport one like yours many years ago but I resembled Pancho Villa lol! My brothers at work can be ruthless with the name calling haha.

Had a customer show up today with a piece of stainless sheet that already had the cnc plasma work done and he needed all the angles bent into it. Got to use my finger brake!

Nicely done. electric fan mount/shroud? Looks like it was cut with water jet or laser. My CNC Plasma would have left discoloration along the heat effected zone on stainless. Do you know any specifics on the CNC plasma that was used?

Does your FJ still have the straight 6 in it? There are still a few nice ones around my area. X2 on the shop space, very nice. Mike

Darn it. Today I learned the hard way about pull out on TTS holders on my Tormach. "Customized" 2 of the jaws on my brand new Buck 4-jaw while working on a prototype tool for screen printing liquor bottles. On the plus side the tool geometry worked perfect. Now I have to make a bunch of em in aluminum. The 1/2" carbide cutter milled them jaws like butter at 40 ipm
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442723216.319942.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442723246.369084.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442723296.318862.jpg

I experimented today with a section I cut from a front wheel drive shaft.
By golly it was tough stuff, my HSS bits just couldnt cut the mustard.
I ground some extra clearance on an old brazed carbide half inch tool then diamond honed the edge to as sharp as I could get it.
That did the trick, on auto feed it peeled the swarf off in tight curled strings a pretty blue colour.
The surface finish was very smooth like a mirror, this photo does not do it justice but I was hugely impressed with it.
drive-shaft-1.jpg
So I flipped it and turned the other end down.
drive-shaft-2.jpg
The brown colour is the very thick cutting fluid I used.
I had a feeling that only the outer surface was tough but the inner would be softer, but if that was the case going from 25mm down to 19mm dia made no discernible difference.
The big worry was the length of the strings but as they came off very smoothly I used a stick to guide them into the bed away from the chuck (although that doesnt show here)
This chunk is so nice and shiny to look at I want to use it for something.
Questions
Any idea what the base metal is?
Can it be hardened even further and used as a cutting tool.
If its annealed to red heat will it machine easier.

Wasps and hornets get no mercy from me, I opened a door at work in a connex, walked in,and did my business, then I saw them, they had a nest built around a paint can by the door near the floor, so when I opened the door it ripped the nest in half, lol I was stuck in the connex for several minutes narrowly escaping. We had no wasp spray so I soaked em with brakleen, I've had them make nests in my wood furnace too.

Had a similar event ages 23 when I was wearing boots, socks rolled down and army shorts the rest was bare skin . On opening to a small corrugated steel paint store door I tore a nest of European wasps apart these 1 & 1/4 inch long buggers got me in nine places near my left nipple. I was found staggering around gasping for breath & going slightly more than purple .

Mae West would have looked positively anorexic along side of me .. I ended up being excused duties for a week till the swellings went down .. it hurt like hell for weeks 7 weeks

Saverin ,
Such drive shafts used to be a high carbon steel that was hot forged and cold finished . The way the steel is forged and folded is what gives it strength .
I think they were also shot pened ( High pressure blasted with zillions of high speed hardened steel balls ) to give even more torsional strength

If you ever managed to shear such a shaft you will see radial fracture s that resemble a dart board as well as the face tending to show microscopic white crystaline properties. Often the shear / break is not clean , it is full of different height tessellations in the dart board pattern .

4140 heat treated is used quite often for driveshafts and axles. I always hang onto a couple just in case I need something tough.

Back