2015 POTD Thread Archive

Does your FJ still have the straight 6 in it? There are still a few nice ones around my area. X2 on the shop space, very nice. Mike
100% stock including emission or Smogged. I been doing a "rolling restoration" since purchased in 2012. Ultimately, I plan on a Toyota diesel
1HZ-T (also straight six) but they cost a lot and require importation into the US.
Many hours under this hood to bring her up to par as a daily driver. IMG_0031.JPG

Nicely done. electric fan mount/shroud? Looks like it was cut with water jet or laser. My CNC Plasma would have left discoloration along the heat effected zone on stainless. Do you know any specifics on the CNC plasma that was used?
I dont know any of the specifics on what he used. It was a ad on Thumbtack.com that brought him to me.

autonoz, I'm 60-70 miles south of you. My Mom lives in CG, that town has grown a bunch.
I been stopping fires for for some time with TFD. You look like a fire stopper yourself given the mustache. I used to sport one like yours many years ago but I resembled Pancho Villa lol! My brothers at work can be ruthless with the name calling haha.

You are correct, I have 25 years with CGFD. Just entered the drop this month. Thanks for what you do.

I had a feeling you where a brother. Sorry about the chief you inherited from us. He tends to write long winded memos's hahaha.
I'm entering the drop in 2/16 after 25 years. Thank you sir for being there for my Mom!
If you ever have any business in Tucson, please look me up if you have have time.

I have a Bridgeport H head on my Hardinge UM. It takes an oddball 2VB collet and there is precious little tooling available.

This week I finished some collet blanks to create some tooling.

20150919_193456_zps4zp37kcd.jpg

I put the collet blank in my ER40 chuck, 3 jaw chuck, and 2A collet and all of them had over a 0.001 runout. I was hoping for a more accuracy. So today I finished a 4MT to 2VB adapter. This looks like it will provide the accuracy I want.

20150919_193058_zpsrxpdxt6m.jpg

Here is a shot of the adapter, collet blank, and collet.

20150919_193223_zpsyg1t4bfi.jpg

And here is the collet adapter in action, not much to look at.

20150919_193145_zpsckle3ksi.jpg

Next step is to create a drawbar to hold the 2VB collet in the adapter. Then I will try to turn a 1JT taper for a 0-1/4" Albrecht chuck.

20150919_193456_zps4zp37kcd.jpg

20150919_193058_zpsrxpdxt6m.jpg

20150919_193223_zpsyg1t4bfi.jpg

20150919_193145_zpsckle3ksi.jpg

I made some new wheels for my horizontal 7x12 bandsaw and it raised the height so my milk crate and laboratory lift table weren't high enough for supporting long stock.

Today, I modified an old keyboard/piano bench to fill the task. I painted the wood top with pickup bed liner paint. That stuff is tough as nails (and dries fast). The table will fold up store out of the way.

IMG_0691.JPG

The collet blanks looks nice, but your gonna need to grind if you want best accuracy

Saverin ,
Such drive shafts used to be a high carbon steel that was hot forged and cold finished . The way the steel is forged and folded is what gives it strength .
I think they were also shot pened ( High pressure blasted with zillions of high speed hardened steel balls ) to give even more torsional strength

If you ever managed to shear such a shaft you will see radial fracture s that resemble a dart board as well as the face tending to show microscopic white crystaline properties. Often the shear / break is not clean , it is full of different height tessellations in the dart board pattern .

I like having some rear end axles in my scrap bin. I also came across some nice heavy stabilizer bars from some dump trucks. It's about 1-1/2" diameter and looks to be forged. Pretty tough stuff but still easily machinable with lighter cuts. It has some of the lubricious surface properties of cast iron. I use it a lot where I need an unyielding part like heavy hold-down washers and wheel puller screw points.

Back