2015 POTD Thread Archive

Collet holder for the Mill. Decided to do it up out of 2x6 salvaged oak. All that's left (I think) is to add a finish to it.
I've got a quart of Watco 'Iced Oak' oil finish that I want to try out.

P1070927r.jpg P1070937r.jpg P1070945r.jpg P1070949r.jpg

got bit moe done on my collets.
just doing rough cutting and drilling out first then i can finish cut them turn them rd and put taper on other end.
other end needs facing off fair bit on some as made from box of 1.5" rd offcuts i got cheap.
tapered ends are pilot drilled 2mm, will drill them to size as i need them.
pic shows first hole then final drill size hole and original collet.
roughing.jpg

Let me make a suggestion before you are kicking and rolling on the floor. That Oak was never kiln dried, it is skid material from the cant of the log, it will twist and shrink. Also Oak contains tanic acid and will rust anything in contact with it. Your collets will be a rusted mess and you won't know it till its to late, find a piece of mahogany or teak if you want wood, I made my organizer from a 3/4" thick scrap piece of UHDM plastic about a foot square. I also made one out of 3/4" Corian that was scrap from a sink cutout a local cabinet shop gave me, this is my favorite material to organizers out of, machines well, polishes to a great shine and nothing sticks to it, a little laquer thinner and it's clean again. Good luck.

I agree with Rick on the fact that oak is very high in tannic acid and will rust metal quickly, especially if there is humidity or moisture. Being a wood worker I won't even let oak come in contact with the clamps during a glue up. The metal clamps will react with the tannic acid and stain the oak black!

Back