2015 POTD Thread Archive

QUOTE="middle.road, post: 333844, member: 31172"]All these real world items in the last few posts, and I spent the weekend making a collet holder...:D[/QUOTE]

And what is not real world about a collet holder? As woodtickgreg said "we make what we need" and as our skill level grows and tooling grows, our projects get more complicated, or more simple. As an example, I just spent an hour parting off 1" id brass shims, starting at .003" getting thicker by .0025" up to .025" thick.

QUOTE="middle.road, post: 333844, member: 31172"]All these real world items in the last few posts, and I spent the weekend making a collet holder...:D

And what is not real world about a collet holder? As woodtickgreg said "we make what we need" and as our skill level grows and tooling grows, our projects get more complicated, or more simple. As an example, I just spent an hour parting off 1" id brass shims, starting at .003" getting thicker by .0025" up to .025" thick.[/QUOTE]

Lately everything being made is for my shop improvement. It's fun improving working conditions and I have already enjoyed the results. However, updating & organizing can displace things into some kind of black hole oblivion.

Most of us here are home hobbyists and we all started by working on and improving our home setups. This gave us the experience and tools to repair/machine for others. Learning and improving is like any hobby, whether golf, boating, drinking, etc... they all cost money. At least machining allows some money to come back occasionally.

That's why I'm doing the cnc conversion, I need to expand my marketability so the return money is more than occasional. I hope to manufacture some different product ideas and turn occasional into steady.

Back