2015 POTD Thread Archive

Better that than what I am putting up with. Something (woodchuck?) crawled under my shop floor and died. The concrete is cracked.

I hope that it's not as bad as what I'm putting up with now. My neighbor (really nice guy) is using some Northern Tool driveway alarm sensors to notify him of armadillos digging up his lawn at night. Well, evidently a few nights ago he was able to wound one and he crawled up under one of my large storage buildings and died. There is no way to be able to recover the stinker even if my weak stomach could tolerate it. Come on cooler weather!

I remember back when I was hunting a lot we used to coon hunt for their skins and sometimes the dogs would chase them into a pond drainage tube. After shooting them we would take a piece of barbed wire, double it over and push it into the tube and twist it to snag it then pull it out. I bet you could do the same thing to the Armadillo.
Take some Vicks Vapor rub and put a little bit under your nose and that's all you will smell.
Just don't lick your upper lip with it on. :D

I have to tell my dead animal story. A few years ago when I still had my house boat (also called floating home) we had beaver problems. They would crawl in between the float logs and the floor joists and chew on the stringers and joists. I finally was able to catch one in the act, right under my dining room. I could hear pretty much where it was so I grabbed my .357 and put a round through the floor. It stopped chewing and figured I just scared it. Then I jumped in my truck and headed for Salt Lake City for about 4 days. It was summer time, and by the time I got back, that beaver was getting pretty ripe.

I tried dragging it out from the side of the house, but that proved impossible, not enough clearance. I wound up cutting a hole in the floor between the joists and working 60 lbs of dead beaver into a large trash bag. This was not a pleasant task. I paid one of the neighbor kids $20 to take over to the island and dump it. I'm sure the birds had a good feast.

Just don't breath the fumes coming off the heated cyanoacrylate adhesives. That stuff will knock you down coughing.....
-brino
Not great for the eyes either. However, I have never had a reason to take one of the extension drills apart.

Bob

A bounce sheet (clothes dryer sheet) tucked inside a N-95 dust mask and mouth breathing has kept me from losing my cookies when we find a ripe corps during a well fair check. The old timers would carrie a small jar of Vicks vapor rub in their turnout pockets for this, but I couldn't stand the smell after the call.

Yup, Vicks all the way. I used to work on sewage ponds, and that stuff was a lunch saver.

I guess you guy qualify as "old timers" hahah. It does work!

Back