2015 POTD Thread Archive

Franko,
One thing I have learned about casters is they are not created equal. Most every machine in our shop are on casters, some for more than twenty years.
I also use swivels on all four with locks, this helps me stab a machine exactly where I want it with no wiggling. The quality will makes a huge difference. Yesterday, I too replaced four swivel casters from a recently built "rib cage" remnant rack. One of the casters lost its poly tire after only several months. This rack only gets moved a little for cleaning, but was a very easy move for me considering its around 1200 lbs. I had a bunch of fixed and swivel casters left over from the toolbox work bench build, so I switched the four out with the junk HF (same bolt pattern) casters and now I can't easily move the rack. I will be visiting my local caster store for a return this coming week.
At least your drilling and bolting your casters as many folks cut corners by welding them on requiring a lot of work when the time comes for replacement.

I'm not sure what your set up weighs, but perhaps consider adding a gusset to your angle iron supports (down the center between your mounting bolts) as 1/4" material will flex a bit.

This Iron worker comes in at 3500 lbs and only two swivels used as a large 'T" handle can be installed with a single pin for moving. I know it larger than your load but the gusset still applies. All other caster mounted machines are 4 swivel locking casters.

I gan get some pictures of smaller caster mounted machines that use the same type of design (cantilever support) if you like.

A stable machine is makes for a stable operator.
20140901_092804.jpg

Just made this for fun. It's a scaled up 45acp hollow point cast bullet made from aluminum. The dimesions are off a little bit, in fact, no dimensions were even made. Just free handed. Used green scotch bright pad to give it the semi brushed look. This was also my first successful time using the cut off blade to actually cut off a part. Learning as I go!image.jpg

Nice! And you got to complete many lathe process to complete that .45 round.

Very nice engineering and execution Mark! Those look sweet too.

Franko,
One thing I have learned about casters is they are not created equal. Most every machine in our shop are on casters, some for more than twenty years.
I'm not sure what your set up weighs, but perhaps consider adding a gusset to your angle iron supports (down the center between your mounting bolts) as 1/4" material will flex a bit.
I gan get some pictures of smaller caster mounted machines that use the same type of design (cantilever support) if you like.

Thanks for the reply, Paco. I don't get welding casters on, either. I don't like not being able to undo something.
The casters I used were from Grizzly. I've used the stationary ones before and they are excellent roller bearing wheels. The geometry of the swivel casters doesn't allow them to turn, which it is whole point of a swivel caster. I think the axle is too close to the rotation point. The only way I can steer the thing is to reach down and turn the casters by hand.

The rigid casters on the back seem very solid. I can't discern any movement with them, but the swivel casters wiggle a lot.

The set-up I made is very ridged with the heavy angle iron support. If it shows any sign of flexing, I can always weld a diagonal support. It isn't just the 1/4 bar, it's doubled with the 5/16 angle iron that rests against the sides of the very solid cabinet. The loaded cabinet and mill weigh about 600 pounds.

I'd love to see pics of the cantilever support machines. All my equipment in my shop is on wheels.

I ordered a couple of these Footmaster leveling casters. I've got a pair on my lathe stand and they work great and maneuver very easily. The lathe stand has zero shake.

815dZ-WUfjL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Spent a little time completeting a die holder for 1 1/2" dies. I aquiered some more "mystery metal" from work , it started off as 2" diameter base and rod end pins from an end dump gravel trailer. I wasn't completely sure what it may be, but I do know that once I figured out that it wanted carbide and 1200 rpm the chip started flying off and this new piece of shop made tooling was born. The tail end is drilled under size then reamed up to 1/2" id , the wrench flats were cut supported in my 5c spin indexer and supported on the "mouth end" on a craftsman V block that I was gifted from a friend in Raytown Mo.IMG_1193.JPGIMG_1195.JPGIMG_1196.JPG

A lot of nice work going on here. I'm still busy playing wood butcher, May be next year. Mike

Back