2015 POTD Thread Archive

Franko,
Those foot masters are the cats meow.

I love the ones I put on my lathe stand. It is as solid as a rock.

I did some testing this afternoon to see how steady I can make the mill stand. I jacked it up in the front with a floor jack and cut a couple 4x4s for solid supports, holding the casters about an eight off the floor. With regular shims, I was able to adjust it to the floor with no wiggle.

The object of that exercise was to see how steady the rear stationary wheels are.

I made the stationary wheels on the lathe stand adjustable. Not so on the mill stand, but it is only a fraction of a bubble off side to side. With the foot masters, I will be able to level it front to back. My floor has a 1 inch in 12 feet slope relative to front to back on the mill.

Last edited:
Overloading my light duty trailer ended up to be an occupational mis-adventure. The consequence ended up to be a bent axle (first 2 pictures). However, I was able to cut out the spindle, straighten it with my truck mounted axle straightening tool ( 3rd. picture), and weld the spindle back on. I also did some fill in welding between the spindle ends and a pipe that I welded in it about 20 years ago (4th picture). It was a fun project, and I got to use my 50$ buzz box (last picture). However, I'll be more careful in the future.

TRAILER AXLE1.jpg TRAILER AXLE2.jpg TRAILER AXLE3.jpg TRAILER AXLE4.jpg AIRCO 225 STINGER.jpg

People not taking overload serious are putting other drivers at risk on the highway, luckely your incident didnt cause an accident thank god lol. Seriously though, let this be a lesson to everyone, safety first, it would be terrible if a broken axle caused a tire to fly off and go through the window of a passerby..... Theres a video that some hillbilly does that cant weld, its like a "ficks yur trayler" video, SUPER UNSAFE to be dragging his trailer down the road with other people, the guy got blasted on a welding forum, badly.
Nice fix, lot of undercut on the weld, maybe try changing the rod angle to point IN to the joint, undercut is weakness. love the oldschool machine

I love the ones I put on my lathe stand. It is as solid as a rock.

I did some testing this afternoon to see how steady I can make the mill stand. I jacked it up in the front with a floor jack and cut a couple 4x4s for solid supports, holding the casters about an eight off the floor. With regular shims, I was able to adjust it to the floor with no wiggle.

The object of that exercise was to see how steady the rear stationary wheels are.

I made the stationary wheels on the lathe stand adjustable. Not so on the mill stand, but it is only a fraction of a bubble off side to side. With the foot masters, I will be able to level it front to back. My floor has a 1 inch in 12 feet slope relative to front to back on the mill.
hey franko instead of changing wheels why not add ez machine stabilizer mounts ? U can weld nuts and even use carriage bolts and get rubber boots
sorry if I may have misunderstood maybe im missing something

DSCF1159.JPG

hey franko instead of changing wheels why not add ez machine stabilizer mounts ? U can weld nuts and even use carriage bolts and get rubber boots
sorry if I may have misunderstood maybe im missing something

Kenny, It is over 5" to the floor from the base of the cabinet, so any kind of bolt adjustable foot just wouldn't be stiff enough. The other problem is that the rig is not maneuverable with the swivel casters I got. If I want to change the direction I'm rolling it, I literally have to bend down and hand-turn the casters.

It is possible I could machine a foot from something like a 2" tube with a mounting plate to a 1.5" threaded tube with a foot. But, that doesn't solve the maneuverability issue.

When the foot of the Footmaster is adjusted down, they are very solid, and because of the large off-set of the axle to the pivot point, when it is up, it is easily maneuverable. Just a slight sideways pull, and it easily rotates and tracks.

I had a spindle break off of my small boat trailer, before I got bearing buddies. I was headed up a Hwy with little to no traffic when I heard a terrible racket, looked in the rearview mirror and saw a huge tail of sparks, that trailer looked like a comet. I started slowing down to pull over when the tire on the wheel came bounding down the ditch passing me and finally coming to a stop a couple hundred yards down the ditch. Broke the spindle clean off good thing it was only a 15' aluminum boat learned quite a bit that day.

I've actually been on the receiving end of a flying tire took out the side of the car almost went through the front but it bounced off a car next to me very scary in the middle of tourist season traffic.

I've actually been on the receiving end of a flying tire took out the side of the car almost went through the front but it bounced off a car next to me very scary in the middle of tourist season traffic.

I can imagine it would be a little startling to say the least.

I saw a tire and wheel bounce over the wall of the freeway the other day, came into oncoming traffic head on. Luckily it missed everyone, but I bet more than one driver needed clean shorts after that. It could have been much worse, it could have killed someone.

We had a bearing burn out on the boat trailer on the way back from the lake. Didn't notice it until we got home. The wheel was wobbling loose on the axle but didn't come off.

Back