2015 POTD Thread Archive

I thought that register was for radial runout whereas the spindle face register was for axial runout?

Nope, it doesn't actually need to be close fitting, the threads are going to engage at the same exact position every time, so it needs the face to be square for sure, like you said axial runout. That's the reason you turn the adapter on the lathe

Took my oldest and his GF out 4 wheeling. She had never been before. She loved it and wants to go again. Made a new handle for my master bath sink. The original plastic one had cracked and dissolved so I made a replacement and the wife liked it but complained it was too hard to grip wet. So I make a new one with a deeper cut design. She really likes it.

20151224_105436 (Custom).jpg 20151224_173225 (Custom).jpg 20151224_173231 (Custom).jpg 20151224_173247 (Custom).jpg

Nothing like getting outside with the kids. Nice job on the faucet handle. Mike

Most important thing first - my wife's present from my girls and I. Made from stones and shells we picked up on the Washington coast during our summer holiday. The girls (7+9) hand sanded and polished the stones, then they drilled the holes using a diamond bit (1.5mm I think) in the drill press.

When I was in Afghanistan I couldn't help but notice that they had a lot of sand and rocks. So I started looking at the rocks. Some were rather interesting - especially when compared to the sand. So I ordered a couple of rock tumblers from Harbor Freight. Soon friends were bringing in rocks asking to have them polished. One guy told me he planned to buy a rock tumbler as something he could do with his young daughter when he got home.

Just thought I'd mention that.

I retrieved the MachTach from my rusted-up X2 CNC mill today. I got it cleaned up and mounted on the Storebro lathe. This is in preparation for installing the VFD that arrived this week and the 2 HP 3-phase motor that I picked up a while back.
PC241766a.jpg

This has been a couple day project, not just today. On background, my son, the entrepreneur, makes and sells balsa airplane kits and other stuff for them One of the products is a clutch that goes between the propeller and the drive shaft, so that when the motor quits (read when the rubber band unwindes) the prop will spin free rather than trying to wind up the rubber band. He sells them for prop shafts of 3/64, 1/16, 2 mm and 3/32. When he bought Superior Props, the business that supplied these, there was a pretty good invenory of them. After two years, that inventory has mostly been sold and I've been tasked to make more. The two smaller sizes are identical except for the hole through the middle, that is a clearance hole for the prop shaft. They each have a 5-40 1/8 set screw to hold the clutch to the prop shaft, and two holes for .032 wires which operate the clutch mechanism. The two small sizes are made form 1/4" Aluminum rod.

I start out in the turret lathe turning the parts.
No 1 turn.jpg
It's not quite cut off here. It's been center drilled, drilled through, necked to .125 and the corners have been broken with a file. Each one takes maybe a minute. Note the cut off tool is upside down in the back
They look like this after parting off. .
No 2 as turned.jpg
From here they go to a drill fixture for drilling the hole for the tap and for drilling the two .038 holes. I made a gang fixture for this.

No 3 drill for tap.jpg

This is the .101 tap drill for the 5-40 set screw. (typo edited)

Next is to drill the two .038 holes one on center up .100 the other up .080 and over .045.

No 4 drill for .038.jpg
I was testing the fixture and the drill, didn't want to scrap too many if it didn't work.

This is the tapping machine, Some might recognize the unit under the mounting block.
No 5 tapping machine.jpg

And a pretty poor shot of the part having been tapped. (look for internal threads)
No. 6 tapping detail.jpg

Here's the finished clutch, set screw, two wires and all, ready to go. About 3 Dozen were sold last year of this size.
No. 7 finished clutch..jpg

Remember, that's a 5-40 set screw,the wires are .032, the whole thing is .270 long. I've got 4 dozen turned.

Last edited:
Tom- Very interesting. I am having trouble visualizing how this works. Can you show of pic of it assembled?
R

Back