2015 POTD Thread Archive

Well after too many times of either not hearing my cordless phone or bringing it into the shop and forgetting to take it back upstairs I purchased a phone for the shop. I went a little different. Got a nice old panel mount phone with a mechanical ringer that's loud as hell. No more not hearing that anymore. I had to fab a housing to mount it in the wall and do a general taking apart and cleaning of all the mechanicals. Unfortunately I have VoIP so I cannot dial out because my phone modem does not recognize pulse dialing. It answers and rings fine though. I have a pulse-to-tone converter coming to make it 100% functional again.$_57.JPG 823568048_o.jpg IMG_0950.JPG IMG_0954.JPG

Did some wood work this weekend. Started on Saturday afternoon with roughing out the cutouts with jigsaw and finished them on the router table and fitted up to the telescope mirror box. Have to make up some 3/8" spacers to fit between the tunions and the box sides. Paint and sliding surfaces for bearings next.
scope1.jpg

Halligan,
I keep an old school, push button wall phone in the shop. I would prefer a rotary dial, but they don't work well with automated operators. I prefer the feel, sound and quality of the old Ma Bell phones over the newer ones.

Halligan,
I keep an old school, push button wall phone in the shop. I would prefer a rotary dial, but they don't work well with automated operators. I prefer the feel, sound and quality of the old Ma Bell phones over the newer ones.

The Pulse-to-Tone converter I have on order is supposed to allow a rotary phones to also dial # and *. It also has speed dial memory on it too. When it comes I'll see how well it works out. I do love the old rotary phones. Just something about the sound the dial makes. Just hopefully your not dialing a number with a lot of 0's or 9's

The Pulse-to-Tone converter I have on order is supposed to allow a rotary phones to also dial # and *. It also has speed dial memory on it too. When it comes I'll see how well it works out. I do love the old rotary phones. Just something about the sound the dial makes. Just hopefully your not dialing a number with a lot of 0's or 9's

One ringy dingy, two ringy dingy. snort snort For all of us old enough to remember Lily Tomlin's operator comedy routines. lol

If you remember that you remember BR 549, and others where you did not have 7 digit pone numbers. Oops is that dating things.

Hey guys,

I check this thread almost daily to see what everyone's up to. Lots of great ideas and information here! My lathe has been shut down for the winter but I just got it fired up last week, and I plan to use it as much as I can this summer.

This weekend I tackled a fairly simple project for my brother. He bought a new shift knob for his car that includes a stick-on logo coin with the company name. He wasn't crazy about the logo so he asked me to simply machine the surface. He might get it engraved at a later date. I finally have something to contribute in this thread!

Here's the shift knob without the logo:

5472.jpg

And with the logo:
5481.jpg

Underside of the shift knob. The nice plating prevented me from gripping this in the chuck. Fortunately, the bore of the knob is threaded M12x1.5 for installation on the shifter shaft.

5475.jpg

Using some 1/2" steel I made a simple mount.

5476.jpg

Threaded the end M12x1.5. I don't have a die that size so I threaded this on the lathe. Only the second time I thread on the lathe so I'm just getting the hang of it.

5478.jpg

5479.jpg

All I did was face the knob and cut a shallow groove around the circumference.

5482.jpg

I installed it in my car for the a picture, which didn't come out all that great, unfortunately.

5489.jpg

Close up:

5491.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Barry

Hey guys,

I check this thread almost daily to see what everyone's up to. Lots of great ideas and information here! My lathe has been shut down for the winter but I just got it fired up last week, and I plan to use it as much as I can this summer.

This weekend I tackled a fairly simple project for my brother. He bought a new shift knob for his car that includes a stick-on logo coin with the company name. He wasn't crazy about the logo so he asked me to simply machine the surface. He might get it engraved at a later date. I finally have something to contribute in this thread!

Here's the shift knob without the logo:

5472.jpg

And with the logo:
5481.jpg

Underside of the shift knob. The nice plating prevented me from gripping this in the chuck. Fortunately, the bore of the knob is threaded M12x1.5 for installation on the shifter shaft.

5475.jpg

Using some 1/2" steel I made a simple mount.

5476.jpg

Threaded the end M12x1.5. I don't have a die that size so I threaded this on the lathe. Only the second time I thread on the lathe so I'm just getting the hang of it.

5478.jpg

5479.jpg

All I did was face the knob and cut a shallow groove around the circumference.

5482.jpg

I installed it in my car for the a picture, which didn't come out all that great, unfortunately.

5489.jpg

Close up:

5491.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Barry
Neat job Barry. Well thought out and nicely finished. Keep at it. We all started out from right there !!!
all the best
aRM

I built a "portabench" yesterday.
First, while cleaning my parents house, I found Dad's workbench, which was made from an old office table. It had a solid wood top, but the bottom of the legs were rotten from water getting into the basement. So I salvaged the top for later use.
Second, While driving home, I found an old folding table, set out for trash, that had a bad pressboard top. However, the steel legs & frame were still good. It was an older one because the legs & frame seemed heavier than newer ones.
So...I attached the steel frame & legs to Dad's old workbench top. Now, I have a bench that can be used anywhere. I plan to keep it as-is and not refinish it. The memories will be preserved and I won't be afraid to get it dirty.

PORTABENCH1.jpg

Back