2015 POTD Thread Archive

Used a square piece of aluminum 1.250" Turned the stub that fits up in the cross slide. Tapped 1/4-20.
Drilled and bored the hole for the Delrin to fit in to 11/16". Counter-bored one end 3/16" deep 13/16" round.
Turned down the Delrin to 11/16" all but one end, left it at 13/16".
I'll need to do a test fit tomorrow night and see if I need to take off anymore excess metal.

upload_2015-4-28_23-4-22.png

upload_2015-4-28_23-5-25.png

I'm filing out a hole in the end of a bar to fit a bit to make a long boring bar and got totally fed up stabbing myself every time the needle file slipped out the woosy wooden handle so I made a new handle just for a bit of practice. Its just a scrap of hot rolled gummy steel but it worked. The screw is too large but I already had that from an earlier mistake so it got used here. Quick and simple.

handle.jpg

That is a great idea. I have the same problem with those smaller files.
That screw is just right if you ask me. I hate the teeny tiny ones they put on stuff nowadays. I'd rather have one I can grip than one that needs a screwdriver to tighten.

View attachment 100461 View attachment 100462 I also finished the parts for a tool post grinder for my 10"x22" I am in need for making my own HSS cutters. The power plant is a 1/4" 6 amp 120 volt die grinder (adjustable speed ) 7000-30 000 rpm no load speed . The ring section has been turned and bored, then drilled , tapped 1/4-20 NC and counter sunk to the body , the material was scrap hydraulic cylinder ram . The flat mount is just 1/2"x 2" flat bar drop from work. I am taking it to a friend who is equipped at home to do tig welding then it will be time to give it a workout. PS for anyone here in Canada , the die grinder came from princess auto. ( our version of Harbour freight )

Hey Blaser, U took so much of trouble to turn drill and bore the Holder, made such a good, nice-looking job of it, and now U gonna spoil the whole set up by doing retrogressive welding !!!
Aww shucks, there's always better ways to do these things

Heck Man, U have enough meat in the Flat Mount to drill the Ring and Thread the Flat Mount for the same screws, except these would then be Counter-sunk Flat Heads from inside the Ring. Don't ask me how, though. Enough Guys here with better brains and experience
Just my two cents worth.
aRM

Milled a flat on adjustment rods, top roller hf 6x48 sander.

Locking bolt smashes into threads, adjustment rod.

RPM mod to 2750 works fine, 2hp motor. Use mostly
for removing paint, rust, for welding. Its a cheap sander.

before.JPG after.JPG

NEW LIFE FOR AN OLD CHUCK

I had an old 4 inch lathe chuck that was in bad shape and no one wanted. It was given to me. The problem was the jaws were "bell" mouthed and would not grip. the runout was over .020". The first thing I needed to do was fix the jaws so I made an aluminum adapter to use my Dremel on the lathe.
Dremel adapter.jpg I bored a hole and single pointed the 12 TPI needed to screw on the front of the Dremel. Then mounted the Dremel on my lathe QCTP.
chuck6.jpg I mounted the 4 inch chuck in my 4 jaw on the lathe, indicated to within .0005" run out on the chuck O.D. and used a clamping plate to lock the jaws and ground them with the Dremel. It took about .005" to clean them up.

chuck7.jpg I then turned the rusty old chuck around and mounted it on a ground 1" rod that was put in the 4 jaw and indicated as close to perfect as I could get it ( within .0003"). I then cut the back of the chuck flat ( took about .006" to do) and re cut the recess for the back plate so it would be concentric with the jaws.
chuck9.jpg After polishing , the chuck looks great and is now accurate. I intend to use this chuck on my little manual 4 inch rotary table I built and also on the dividing head I am building.chuck 10.jpg This is the back after re-cutting. The chuck repeats clamping well and seems to have very , very little run out. In fact , it is better than the 3 jaw on my lathe. Dremel adapter2.jpg

Here's my today project (actually several evenings after work)

For the most part, I've had tools handy near the lathe, usually within arms reach or a bit further, and rarely used tools stored on cabinet shelves. But being a renter now, I don't have the option to build storage and benches and stuff like that, and lack the space for those things anyway. So, I thought I'd try building storage into the lathe cabinet, has the added benefit of weighing down the machine. Would have preferred a drawer style cabinet, but we make do. Here's a pic;

I'll see how I like this set up, thinking of maybe building a cabinet with drawers to set in between the cabinet in the front, kind of shallow but could offer lots of storage in a convenient place.

CIMG0174.JPG

After many years of wanting and searching for the right one, it is finally here. A roll off tow truck and a borrowed pallet truck made the job simple and the new to me Clausing Kondia FV300 now sits in the back of the garage. Picking up a transformer and VFD on the weekend to provide the 3 phase 600 volts. I'll be splitting my time over the next few weeks between the garage and the lake fishing, with the weather determining the choice.

Clausing Kondia.jpg

Congrats on the new mill, I love the way covers, my Z column cover is just a piece of rubber, easy enough for you to add

This stuff is on the web for anyone and everyone to see. Such gross violations of safety should be clearly noted for everyone's benefit. A light jest is too subtle (read ineffective) a comment. You make my case with ". . . the reading is often self reflected by the reader." We (members and non-members) know little to nothing about each other, so we can't know that a light jest will be received as anything but a jest. I had no real expectation of changing the perpetrators mind on the subject. He's apparently an adult so I can only hope there were/are no children in his area to learn from his poor example. However, the thought of leaving that example unchallenged, on the web for anyone to see, is not acceptable to me.
Spoil Sport there is always one that turns up in any group

Back