2015 POTD Thread Archive

There are many things on the web that are not acceptable to some. But then people can say what ever they wish because we have free speech here in the USA. If someone does not like what they see or hear they have the options of going elsewhere or putting up with it. Or even starting their own web site.

There are many things on the web that are not acceptable to some. But then people can say what ever they wish because we have free speech here in the USA. If someone does not like what they see or hear they have the options of going elsewhere or putting up with it. Or even starting their own web site.
Agree

I machined a switch housing for a bedside light:

15%2B-%2B3.jpg
A block of aluminum with fly cut surfaces. There is a pocket machined out for the switch and electronics. It is nice and heavy so it won't move.

The light itself hangs on two fine wires like a chandelier:
15%2B-%2B2.jpg
It uses a white LED with a resistor so it doesn't blind you at night. Here is is turned on:
15%2B-%2B1.jpg

That's just my two cents.
R

heres a welding job I did, local machine shop machined these blocks, its two halves that are needed welded together, the bolt is supposed to help with heat distortion. 3.5in wide, I did 2 passes on each joint, they made a groove for me to weld in, these are rough machined with .020 for cleanup after the welding, the material is 304SS, I preheated to 275, tacked, and laid the beads, pulsing with the foot pedal on the root pass, the cap was a steady pedal using laywire while walking the cup, its too bad the welds get machined off :(
for the guys who wanna know, I have a miller syncrowave 210 inverter, I was using 3/32 2% lanth tungsten, and 3/32 308L wire, I use a CK Flexloc 17 torch, with a stubby lens kit, #8 cup, not sure what amperage these welds were done at, but I wanna say around 125-165, I had the dial maxed but use the pedal so idk.....
sswelds1.jpg
sswelds2.jpg
sswelds3.jpg

Nice mill. Looks like a huge table, 10x54? Mike

Chevydyl, nice work. My "go to" tungsten is also 2% Lanthanated. Beautiful weave job on the weld.

Mike.

Nice mill. Looks like a huge table, 10x54? Mike
Yes it's huge - 11.5 x 56 - another work table! I'm starting to think it's too much for a hobby mill, but then again I don't want to move it again.

Thanks for the comments, 2% lanth is really the only tungsten there's room for in my box, up until two weeks ago I used others, but I ordered this stuff for a special job on aluminum, 3/32 running 210 amps, it held up quite well, following the advice from body at weldingtipsandtricks, although it would split after two parts, 8 1" welds, it was easier to start and provided the pinpoint arc I need to complete that job, so I didn't mind having to resharpen every other part. I'm rambling lol

Back