2015 POTD Thread Archive

How about GMO foods? It's all done for greed (money) with little regard for the outcome. Lab rats get huge grotesque looking cancers after
the equivalent age of 45 to 50 in human years. The government only requires 90 days testing I read. This likely means there will be
a large increase in cancers in the years to come for those that partake in a lot of genetically altered foods. Corn, soy, and canola oil
are all over 90 percent GMO. I'm not a gloom and doom person but this is getting to be a serious concern. Also the United States does
not require that GMO foods be labeled as such. There is a long list of countries that do require such labeling. I realize this is off topic
but worth the mention.

RWM, Looks like a job well worth doing and well done.
Thanks!
If any one else has this type of opener (very common) and a heavy garage door you should consider this modification. It's pretty easy.
R

Another piece for my long term Mustang project. I needed a hose outlet for the heater hose from the intake manifold and needed to also have it accept the temperature sender for the gauge. There is another port in the intake, but I will need it for another temperature sensor for the aftermarket EFI system. Ford did make fittings like this one, but they are not so easy to find and are often badly corroded as they were made of steel. I made mine out of brass hex, the nipple for the hose was turned from the same stock and then solderd into a hole drilled in the main body.

2015-05-14%2014-36-24%20-%200003.JPG

2015-05-14%2020-20-33%20-%200004.JPG

Another piece for my long term Mustang project. I needed a hose outlet for the heater hose from the intake manifold and needed to also have it accept the temperature sender for the gauge. There is another port in the intake, but I will need it for another temperature sensor for the aftermarket EFI system. Ford did make fittings like this one, but they are not so easy to find and are often badly corroded as they were made of steel. I made mine out of brass hex, the nipple for the hose was turned from the same stock and then solderd into a hole drilled in the main body.

Something in the back of my mind prompts me to ask you what coolant are you using and have you checked that the solder you have used on the union is compatible with it .

bww rider,
Nice job! while I enjoy all the creative tool making we do here, I always like the times when the machines solve a real world problem. To me that is the best part of this hobby, the I can fix/make that moments.
Mark

I made covers like that from Masonite when I was gainfully employed, many years ago. Saved a lot of slot cleaning.

Tom, I got the idea from a uTube video. It is also possible they could save chipping a tool if you drop it.

View attachment 103642 View attachment 103642 View attachment 103643 View attachment 103642 View attachment 103643 Definitely took more than one day, but I did substantially finish this one today. My 14" band saw that was handed down from my father-in-law had the crappy zinc alloy castings that disintegrated, i.e. the bearing guide block holder and the upper guide mount that it mounts in (apparently a common problem).

I was going to cast up some replacements out of aluminum, but had some material the right size to make a steel weldment for both parts, so I decided to go that route. The block holder was simply some 3/4"square tube with a 3/8" x 1/4" bar welded together to make a tang that fits in the guide holder. I cut the middle section cut out for the blade clearance after welding. I also drilled the front of the tubing for clearance for a couple of 1/4-20 screws and brazed on some nuts after locating them on the holes.

The upper guide mount was a little more complicated. Instead of cutting the rectangular mortise for the tang for the block holder, I used several pieces of 1/8" flat laminated together with the clearance created by the assembly of the pieces and then welded together the entire assembly. Again I used the brazed on nut technique for the mounting screws and lock screw threads to save tapping time and taps. After plenty of grinding and sanding I ended up with some usable parts and can now get the band saw back in service.

I'll be the first to admit these pieces were not the prettiest things I have ever made, but they are functional, and at this point, that is way more important.

I don't know why tool manufacturers use crappy zinc castings that end up breaking into a million pieces like this when for pennies difference, a far more durable and substantial part could be made of aluminum and save the aggravation on the owner's part and the reputation of their brand.

Anyway, on to the next project. Feels good to complete one every once in a while. I am attaching some pictures to prove I actually did it.

20150515_183245.jpg 20150515_183155.jpg 20150515_183226.jpg 20150515_183108.jpg 20150515_183343.jpg

Nice job on the fitting. I doubt the type of solder will make much difference in that application. Being a Ford guy you have piqued my interest. What's under the valve covers? Small block Stroker? I'm in the process of converting several of my older cars to e.f.i., and it does take a little thinking, and engineering to get all that data where it needs to go. Really nice when it works though. No hard cold starting, or flooding, along with more power and better mileage.

Back