2015 POTD Thread Archive

I have a clients 2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon in the shop that I am regearing as well as beefing up the front axle with sleeves and gussets.

Here you can see the holes drilled and I am ready to install the sleeve into the short side axle tube.
2qtwah4.jpg

Sleeve viewed from the knuckle end.
9kxi14.jpg

Long side axle tube with the sleeve installed. You can see the sleeve inside the drilled .5" holes ready for welding.
9k2tck.jpg

In progress welding pics.
15zi5vo.jpg

2ldbz28.jpg

Rosette weld, sometimes called a plug weld.
jt2xpl.jpg

Some various welds from the project.
2znv69k.jpg

21ne741.jpg

dg43zl.jpg

Axle welding completed.
2mqj95v.jpg

11v4f2f.jpg

Next up is replacing the factory 4.10 gearset with 5.38:1 gears.

Mike.

[QUOTE="Pontiac Freak, post: 303451, member: 60104459[/ATTACH] View attachment 104460 finally got the chance to do some work on the ball turner I have been building for my lathe.[/QUOTE]

I need to get off my butt and get going on my radii turning attachment. It is on my "to do" list, it is just that my "to do" list is getting longer rather than shorter.

Mike.

What kind of tool is used on your ball turner? When I do mine it will hold a tcmt Triangle

My 29.9cc 2-Cycle Gas-Powered Straight-Shaft String Trimmer with Split Shaft suddently started to make very loud complains and stopped working yesterday.
eb303702-7ad7-458e-abe9-ebadca43dafc.jpg

So today I took it to the operation room (shop) for a small internal check.
P5250772.JPG
I started by removing the peripheral things
P5250773.JPG

To reach the combustion chamber and have a look

P5250775.JPG

The area under the piston was not looking healthy
P5250774.JPG

First of all I think that a part of the securing pin is missing! I dont think that these pins have just one end!

P5250777.JPG

Besides that the area was full of metal parts! Not a good sign!
P5250776.JPG

Some very nasty scratches gave me an indication of the noise source!
P5260789.JPG
When I removed the piston I noticed the deepest scratches I have seen on a small piston! Something really hard found its way in there!
P5260788.JPG
The poor piston died bravely on duty.
P5250782.JPG
What about the chamber? Did it survive?
I think NO It is also badly scratched.
My verdict is that I need a new string trimmer as a tiny steel wire from the securing pin was enough to kill it
P5250786.JPG

So long my little trimmer!

One thing to note is that 2 stroke engines need ample time to warm up or you can cold seize the piston, also to rich a fuel mixture can he detrimental to the piston skirts

This happened after some two hours of work. I think metal fatigue made the whole thing happened. If you consider that the engine is made in China and the security pin worked for a couple of summers making 9800 ups and downs a minute it lasted quite some time

Back